how much salt is too much?

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
Hi!
I am going to start introducing salt ino my Mangrove Jack setup. I have grown this fish from 3" to about 7" in 100% freshwater for the last six months. I think it may finally be time to introduce some small traces of salt. How much is too much? Ideally I'd like to take this very slowly. I do a 20% water change once about every 2 weeks. Parameters are A-O-K and stable. Tank is established and has been going for 10 months now without any swing in parameter conditions. 125g. Single fish setup, no plants.

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
try adding about a tbl spoon fo every 5 or 10 gallons!

webdesigner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.repeatnone.com
phoenixx;914263; said:
I am going to start introducing salt ino my Mangrove Jack setup.
Good, he's getting to be a big boy so he'll appreciate it!

phoenixx;914263; said:
I think it may finally be time to introduce some small traces of salt. How much is too much?
As I'm sure you know, adult jacks live primarily in deep water around reefs so they should be able to tolerate a Specific Gravity as high as 1.024. That said, I'm sure he could be acclimated to Specific Gravity of 1.010 within a couple of weeks without qualm. Just make sure you have a reliable hydrometer and real marine salt.

phoenixx;914263; said:
Ideally I'd like to take this very slowly. I do a 20% water change once about every 2 weeks.
Take the time to measure and mix your salt before introducing it to the aquarium during water changes. Generally 1 cup of salt will rasie the Specific Gravity by 1.005.The acclimation process should take more than a couple of weeks but less than a couple of months.

phoenixx;914263; said:
Single fish setup, no plants.
He's an awesome jack, he deserves a single fish setup. ;-]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store