Cheap easy filtration...

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
Well im going to make a pond roughly 8'x8'x3' and I wanted to know what the most easy and cheap filtration would be for it. I was thinking of making a Wet/dry out of a large plastic barrel kinda like this

Any ideas for improvement?
Also what should I use for biomedia because theres no way im filling it with bioballs and pot scrubbers are nowhere to be found in Australia.

I was going to put UV sterilizer on the outlet would the flow be to fast?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
yeah, that's about it.

Good old filter floss works

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
The Closer the pump is to your Barrel filter there ... The better and more flow you will have.. If It were me I would put the pump close to the filter and run the longer pipes for the return ..... :)

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
santoury;926023; said:
yeah, that's about it.

Good old filter floss works
Alright that's easy enough, thanks:)

Tongue33;926028; said:
The Closer the pump is to your Barrel filter there ... The better and more flow you will have.. If It were me I would put the pump close to the filter and run the longer pipes for the return ..... :)
True.

Anyone know about the UV lights?

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
If it's a FW pond I dunno if the UV would be worth it... and yeah the flow will be a bit fast for most off the shelf UV units.

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
cvermeulen;926058; said:
If it's a FW pond I dunno if the UV would be worth it... and yeah the flow will be a bit fast for most off the shelf UV units.
Yeah it's freshwater im going to put 2 koi and some goldfish in it.

I thought UV was needed to control algae problems?

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
here.... If your filter is level with the pond. If not.. your way will work but you will be some stuff coming back into the pond... or you can make the return like bend back to the top of the drum and skim the water off the top. But once again u have to have the intake lower.

Mat%27s_filter.JPG

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
Bizzaro;926074; said:
here.... If your filter is level with the pond. If not.. your way will work but you will be some stuff coming back into the pond... or you can make the return like bend back to the top of the drum and skim the water off the top. But once again u have to have the intake lower.
Sorry but I dont understand what you mean...:confused:

Dreamsofpeace54;926076; said:
UV is always worth it IMO. Yes it will control algae, but it will also destroy harmful microbes. Goodluck with your project keep us posted.
Will do!!!

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Is your filter going to be above ground? or water level? ex dig a hole put it in. hide it. My first pond filter was like yours... and after some time... i keep getting backwash into my pond from the filter... maybe i didnt pack it enough but the waste ended back into my pond The skimmer part works like this

Anymore more info? http://www.koi.com.my/index.html all my pond filter are bases around a user named Koi38.. Look him up under Filters and DIY... he a Koi master :)

DrumSeries.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store