Florida gar feeding question

100GAL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
RIGHT HERE
I have been finding a lot of Frogs around my pond outside (not toads) I have feed a couple to my tsn and my gar. Is this a safe food for them?
also My brother raises mice to feed his snake are pinkys safe for feeding MONSTERFISH>? Just wondered because I have heard to not feed warm blooded stuff to fish? is this true?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
i dont and wouldnt, but its up to you i guess. it may be ok as a treat once in a while.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
skip the mice for sure. although pinkies are better than adult mice, terrestrial protein just isn't great for captive fishes. as for frogs, if they are from the wild they are coated (inside especially) with parasites. they may not be able to complete their life cycles or anything, but they could pose potential problems. a tadpole here or there or a small frog as a treat wouldn't be bad, but i would skip it as a regular food.
go with some frozen fish or shrimp as they are much safer foods for your gar--
--solomon

100GAL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
RIGHT HERE
Well I have been feeding frozen and he loves anything. But I just keep seeing these frogs and thought hey that would be a great feeder...

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
as stated before, wild frogs are laden with parasites, trust me. as a treat every so often they could work, but i would definitely advise against frequent feeding. stick with the frozen foods as they are much safer--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store