seeding filter media

hle_81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
u.s.
Can you seed filter media by placing them in the tank or does it have to be in the filter? I bought some bio-media for a canister that I'm planning to buy and need to seed the media before I get the canister.

Volenti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Australia
Bacteria will colonise anything and everything in the tank, including your biomedia if you place it in there (a nylon mesh bag is good to hold it all neatly)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Knowing that bacteria (in general) reproduce by dividing, putting some new media in contact with established substrate would quicken the process of seeding. Also putting it in an area with flow, would hasten the process.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
If your tank is established all surfaces of it will have a bit of biological bacteria, so yes placing some media in the tank will allow it to seed.
In the actual tank most of your bacteria is going to be on your substrate, so placing it on the substrate will probably allow it to grow bacteria faster than if you just hang it against the wall of the tank or something.

Of course, media will seed faster in the filter than anywhere else because that is where your primary source of bacteria is. The filter also has the majority of the water flow so there's more oxygen to help the bacteria flourish.

wangster11235

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
pa
i used this stuff from petsmart
company was crystal clear and its called pond bacteria
i put 2 xp3 filters on a running tank and added that to the water, in under a week there was already bacteria growing on the tubes of the filter

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
duanes;938331; said:
Knowing that bacteria (in general) reproduce by dividing, putting some new media in contact with established substrate would quicken the process of seeding. Also putting it in an area with flow, would hasten the process.
:iagree: good answer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store