180 gallon 2nd floor advice

aro-man

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
.....thats a good question....
Hey guys, any of you have a 180 gallon acrylic on the second floor of your house? Have a nice section on the second floor where a bigger tank would look great (plus its in my room) and it feels like a shame leaving the tank in storage. Theres about that many gallons in the spot i want the tank now, but its made up of a bunch of smaller tanks spread over about 24sqft. The 180 would be about the same weight but spread over half that area. Its ok now, but am not to sure about the weight being more concentrated. Also, the tank will be directly above a w10x45lb steel H-beam support. Any ideas?

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
Great article !!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Gotta love that article by Kevin Bauman. Gives you lots of information, but really doesn't answer your questions. I have a 180 gallon in our bedroom, although it is not on the second floor it is on a wood framed floor above a basement. Being above a "I" beam I would imagine that you are gonna be fine, but consulting an engineer would be your best bet. The following is a link to my thread which may help; http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68277

arrowannalover71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2007
new fairfield ct
i just set up a 180 gallon freshwater tank , i had the floor reinforced by somebody who knows what he was doing , supported in the basement so far i have no problems , my tank is on the first floor the supports run in the basement , i would reccomend getting it done its a LOT of weight you are talking !!

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
i dunno how houses are built in america but ive got a 164 gallon tank. the first floor is actually raised of the ground,timber and built just as strong as the top floor. my 164 gallob tank is on that.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I have a 90,65, and 47...ine one room above a basement of a place built in the 40's so i think you should be ok

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
As long as the tank is not running parallel to the floor joists you will be fine. If there is a structural I beam under it as well, all it is going to do is add more rigidity to the beam as it takes the load. If there are poles under it or a wall supporting it from underneath (load bearing wall) you will no doubt be in good shape.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store