wide bar datnoid

wwildcats04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
are these reallly hard to find/expensive. I think I have only seen one once and it was rather pricy. I would be interested in having one. I have heard that they need brakish water but I see a lot of people having them in with arowana and I have also read that they will be fine in fresh water. must be one of those controvery fish

shoefreak03

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
in my own little world
i wouldn't consider them hard to find if you know where to look, but they do run up in price. there are many different types from widebar, indo, silver, thinbar, and NGT with the widebar and NGT costing more than the other. Widebar, indo and thinbar can live their lives in fresh but NGT and silver are more brackish.

You should definately get a widebar... :thumbsup:

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
Any Datnoides species requires great care with your water quality, especially those New guinea Dats. They are available but not as common as your typical petsmart inventory. I agree with shoefreak, you should get a D. Pulcher (widebar), if you can distinguish the difference.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Wide bars will live in fresh fine. So can indos.

But if possible go with the wide bar :)

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Dat's are found both in brackish and freshwater, and as you can tell by looking at all the monster tanks.. they do just great in freshwater.

As far as the price, around here a 4" would be around $25.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
i paid 40 for my 3in. wide bar here in cali.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
its only the silver dat that need brackish water

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
T1KARMANN said:
its only the silver dat that need brackish water
My silver dat is in pure freshwater with my pulchers and microlepsis. BUT I have seen some dats that were in brackish water and was immediately put into the pure freshwater, and did not fare well and eventually died. Also, I think the NGT is also brackish water, but can also live in freshwater.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Vince said:
My silver dat is in pure freshwater with my pulchers and microlepsis. BUT I have seen some dats that were in brackish water and was immediately put into the pure freshwater, and did not fare well and eventually died. Also, I think the NGT is also brackish water, but can also live in freshwater.
all dats are fine in fresh water the silver dats will look like they are doing well and even feed better than other dats but then dead for no reason

Dat canbelli do great in fresh water no problem

hears mine

P7030005.JPG

wwildcats04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
I see I was right about this fish being kinda controversial. In a few years (when aro gets to big for current tank) I am going to purchase a 240-265 . I am planning on roughly 3 lima shovelnose a tiger dat a BGK and the aro also prob a giraffe cat... would this work well?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store