JERSEY RAIN WATER AND FISH....INFO NEEDED

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
Ok..I just picked up my new tank and it was just broke down from being established. The tank still has the sand, driftwood etc.. in it. I forgot a tarp and couldnt cover it on the ride home... It poured and i drove about an hour with the pouring rain falling into the tank. Noticed a good amount of water in it when I got home. Do I need to completely drain the tank of sand, water etc. I was hoping on just throwing it up as fast as possible to benefit from any bacteria still in the sand and bioballs. I am just nervous cause of "acid rain" and such.. Will the rain water hurt the fish? Or is this an ignorant post all together?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
you should be fine I don't see a problem....

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
I think it's a good question. I am curious myself.

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
any1 else have opinions? Thanks Nic for the response!

ElJefe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2007
Texas
check the water param. if they are good then you're good to go

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
when you think about it after you shut it down the cycle started to die... rain having no chlorine in it I would say it would be good but it all depends on how long the system was down.... btw what size tank is this???

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
I would just drain the water, add some clean, dechlorinated water in ( to dilute the rain water ) drain it, and maybe repeat the process once or twice . This should clean out or dilute that Dirty Jersey rain water that got in.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Get rid of everything. I know you want to get going fast but it isn't worth it. Most if not all bacteria is gone already. Once the water is gone the bacteria starts to die off, and any remaining beneficial bacteria was killed with the rain water. Plus a tank that is drained to begin with give a perfect opp. to give it a good cleaning, even if it didnt raind and there was some bacteria left over, most likely theres a lot of nitrates and just plain junk too from it running. As much work as it seems it will be worse if you have to take it down adter you set it up because you start to get deaths.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store