question about scilica and/vs. quarts sand.

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
is there a difference? i've been trying to read old threads about putting sand into my tank.

but i've seen pool filter sand called scilica and quarts is it one in the same? is it different? if so what is the difference?

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
Silicon and oxygen, the two most common chemical elements in the Earth's crust, combine as silicon dioxide to form the mineral quartz. [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Quartz[/color][/color] is the most abundant mineral in the Earth's crust. Quartz has been found in meteorites and in some rocks collected on the moon.
Quartz has the chemical formula SiO2. There are many varieties of quartz, which occurs in nearly all types of igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks. It is an essential mineral in granites, granodiorites and rhyolites. Metamorphism of quartz-bearing igneous and sedimentary rocks typically increases the amount of quartz and its grain size.
Quartz is very resistant to weathering and, therefore, concentrates as sandstones and other detrital rocks. Most sands are weathered fragments of quartz. Sandstone and quartzite are the same materials that are re-lithified (compressed into rock).

from the web

one and the same

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
It's been my expierance that sillica sand is much more abrasive. (It's generally used for sandblasting.) My wife and I always use crushed coral in our tanks rather than sand along with a thin layer of decorative rock.

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
johnptc;959485; said:
Silicon and oxygen, the two most common chemical elements in the Earth's crust, combine as silicon dioxide to form the mineral quartz. [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Quartz[/color][/color] is the most abundant mineral in the Earth's crust. Quartz has been found in meteorites and in some rocks collected on the moon.
Quartz has the chemical formula SiO2. There are many varieties of quartz, which occurs in nearly all types of igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks. It is an essential mineral in granites, granodiorites and rhyolites. Metamorphism of quartz-bearing igneous and sedimentary rocks typically increases the amount of quartz and its grain size.
Quartz is very resistant to weathering and, therefore, concentrates as sandstones and other detrital rocks. Most sands are weathered fragments of quartz. Sandstone and quartzite are the same materials that are re-lithified (compressed into rock).

from the web

one and the same

one in the same?? cool thats all i needed to know

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
Wolf3101;959492; said:
My wife and I always use crushed coral in our tanks rather than sand along with a thin layer of decorative rock.
i'm 2 blocks from the beach. and 30 minutes from almost any type of beach sand.

but its my belief that it increases the ph of the tank.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
-Asianguy-;962090; said:
i'm 2 blocks from the beach. and 30 minutes from almost any type of beach sand.

but its my belief that it increases the ph of the tank.

beach sand contains a lot of crushed shells.... will alter ph

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store