GLASS VS. ACRYLIC

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Why is Acrylic considered better then an old fashion glass aquarium???
Is it just because it is less likely to break?
If so, a glass aquarium is not THAT easy to break if your careful, so why pay so much more?

Reactions: dr exum

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I question the same thing. The only advantage to an acrylic aquarium is that it's lighter, and that only matters when you're moving it.

IMO Glass > acrylic

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I know of more than one person in my circle of fish friends who spent the extra money on an acrylic tank because it was lighter and clearer, only to regret it later when they found out how easily it scratches.

get a well made glass tank (eg. from All-glass, Oceanic, Perfecto etc.) and you will be fine.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Acrylic tanks are MUCH lighter than glass tanks and initally are much clearer as well. they scratch easilly however and usually distort under pressupe so most acrylic tanks are heavier braced and less open on top. Acrylic tanks are bonded rather than siliconed so they hold up well in the long run. Personally I'll always take a glass tank over an acryllic one given a choice but once you reach the 300 gallon size the weight of the glass becomes prohibitive.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
wow!
so Acrylic actually scratches easier then glass?
if the only benefit is that it is lighter then it sounds like a no brainer?
is tehre anyone who perfers acrylic to glass?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I still can't understand why people say acrylic has "better clarity" than glass. Have you tried to take a picture through acrylic?!

Even if I was buying a 750g tank I would prefer glass (even though it would take a fork lift to move)

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
12 Volt Man;963525; said:
glass has a greenish tint to it, acrylic does not.
The greenish tint is from iron ions in the glass. Low E or low iron glass is crystal clear.

Reactions: Jacob1320

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
STARPHIRE GLASS - not sure if is different then cyrstal glass or just another word for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store