how do i get my gar off of feeders only diet?

haywood

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2005
nj
hey guys, i currently have an 8" florida gar in a 55 gallon, along w/a 6-7" peacock bass. i know the tank is too small for them, they will be getting a bigger one. currently i have no water problems, ph 7.4, ammonia 0, nitrites 0. the tank has a gravel bottom, a few rocks and a few live plants, maybe ill try and get some pics up. but anyway to the question, how in the world do u get a gar to eat pellets? i cant even get the peacock bass to eat them, he still is kinda shy and ive had him for over a month. any suggestions? thanks in advance, love this site

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
As far as I know, starvation is the only way. Just feed them pellets, if they refuse to eat them.. take them out. Do not give feeders, both fish should go a week without food no problem so do not worry about them starving to death. Eventually they will have to give in and eat whatever is there.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
what do you feed your gar? try marinading the pellets with juice of whatever it is
youre feeding it right now. see if that works. if not, dont feed for 2 days or longer and try again. It will break down eventually. Patience is required. :)

shovelnose

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Central Jersey
www.5acrossinc.com
I got my florida gar to eat hikari food sticks pretty easily but that's the only pellet it'll eat i started w/ feeders then moved to frozen crickets and then to the pellets in a few weeks feeding once a day.

wism_chan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
SG
You may need to starve the fish for few days.....
then try to feed.....
it's pretty difficult to change the gar diet to pellet....

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
A trick I have used with hujetas is to let them get hungry and then feed a few crickets and a few floating pellets, repeat until they get used to eating pellets.

peanut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
i o w england
the only way is to stop feeding it for a while dont worry they can go a few weeks without food if there really hungery they will eat dry food hope this helps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store