Datnoid growth rate

mkpeters6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2005
denver/syracuse
i left my mosnster fish behind when i moved out west to go to grad school, i couldnt bear to sell them off so my father is taken control of my 200 gal and 125 (cichlid tank) for me -- its funny he really had no experience keeping fish before but now he has grown to love them and taking care of them

anyways i moved my reef tank across country with me (which is my pride and joy) but i really missed keeping good ol fw predators, so i set up a 40 gal tank that i brought my live rock out in as a fw tank

i ended up buying a pair of datnoid about 3in hoping that maybe when i moved home next summer they would be big enough to put into my 200 gal tank

i have a 15-18 in clown knife, 13-15in tsn catfish, and a 13-15in florida gar -- i figured if i could beef the dats up to like 7-8in they would be ok to send home to place in this tank - but i heard dats grow fairly slow

i was wondering if they would grow enough in a year to be able to put in that tank (if not i still have 125 gal cichlid tank plus an empty 125 if a decide to keep them)

anyways im always jealous at seeing all your big dats and im hoping to have a pair of my own

p.s. i love this sight b/c i can live through all of the great fish pictured here - i miss my big guys and cant wait to go home

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
I power feed my dats, but even that they still look the same size, just a bit wider and rounder. They can eat! Beefheart and raw shrimp.

mkpeters6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2005
denver/syracuse
DeLgAdO said:
:wall: i dread the day i tranfer to a university :wall:
moving my tank out here was enough trouble, ive already decided that im gonna try and sell everything (my reef tank) that i can before moving home, maybe ship some of my nice corals home but the tank isnt coming back

thanks for the replies, thats what i figured, depending on how big they get ill probably sell them before moving home and try and find some bid ones for sale down the road, but who knows when you get attached to a fish they are hard to get rid of

ill just enjoy them while i have them!

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
IME, datnoid growth rates vary depending on tankmates. When raising a group of dats, there always seems to be one or two dominant ones that get most of the food and, consequently, grow the quickest. Keep in mind, however, that "quick" growth for a datnoid is still only 1/2 inch a month or so. My largest widebar grew from about 6 inches to 12 inches in a year. However, I have datnoids that only grew 2 or 3 inches during the same period.

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
I have had my Indo dat now for 3 months and he has grown just about an inch in that time, although most of that has been in the last month or so since he really started eating frozen food. For the first couple of months he would only pick at frozen food. Now he devours it. I currently am feeding him frozen krill (cut in 1/2 or 3rds), brine shrimp and bloodworms and he really seems to be growing now (of course by that, I mean about 1/2" a month.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store