Datnoids, are they all wild caught?

Bogwoodbruce

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2007
Rotherham, UK
www.facebook.com
I was thinking, i know that Dats haven't be spawned or bred succesfully in the home aquarium. So were are they all comming from? Are they being bred on fishfarms? I doubt this as there would be much more info on how to breed them. So are all or most Dats wild caught? If this is true they must have some sustansial stocks in the wild due to the numbers being exported. Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

T

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Fish Island
i know that widebars are all caught. i "heard of" that there was a farm in vietnam, they tried to breed widebars they had eggs but not succesful in keeping them alive. other then that i dont know... i think the indos are farm bred? other wise where are we getting all these small 1 inch indos from?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
as far as i know all tigers are wild caught

and all the 1 inch indos you see now will have a big impact on the wild stock

im not saying that we shouldnt take wild stock but we should try real hard to captive breed tigers as the demand is real high for tigers now in all countrys

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
yes, they are all wild caught, i have also heard of attempting breeding in fish farms, but with no progress. Hopefully soon.

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I cant see all these 1" indo being wild caught. I feel there breed. They do alot of differnt things to breed, invetro of sorts, forced removal of sperm/eggs. they get away with much more in SE asia then here

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
Richard (rkc772) said the 1 to 1.25 inch indo dats I just got from him were wild caught imports.

I haven't read anything that shows the dats are being commercially raised (farm raised) and it seems no one else has found sources showing these guys aren't wild caught, so my vote is wild caught.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
the reason you are seeing lots of 1inch indos right now is they are seasonal

if they were captive bred you will see them all year round

bet you dont see many around the sep november time when its the rainy season

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
T1KARMANN;974152; said:
the reason you are seeing lots of 1inch indos right now is they are seasonal

if they were captive bred you will see them all year round

bet you dont see many around the sep november time when its the rainy season

Well, if that was true, we would see them every year around the same time. I havent seen indo dats for years, at least the 1"ers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store