Gutter Guard Wet/Dry Bio Media....

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
I was wondering If gutter Guard would be any good as the media for the wet/dry chamber, this is the stuff if you dont know what im talking about...

6300263.jpg

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The first thing that comes to mind is a toilet paper oil filter. For those that just did this :screwy: , that is an old school oil filter where you would actually drop a full roll of toilet paper into the oil filter canister and screw it on. It was said to be the best oil filter you could get.

That said, I think it will work but you also have to consider the posibility of bio-loading. Of course you will want to filter mechanically prior to introducing the water to the bio-media, but I think this will work.

What is the cost vs. pot scrubbers?

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
CHOMPERS;979184; said:
The first thing that comes to mind is a toilet paper oil filter. For those that just did this :screwy: , that is an old school oil filter where you would actually drop a full roll of toilet paper into the oil filter canister and screw it on. It was said to be the best oil filter you could get.

That said, I think it will work but you also have to consider the posibility of bio-loading. Of course you will want to filter mechanically prior to introducing the water to the bio-media, but I think this will work.

What is the cost vs. pot scrubbers?
Yeah I was going to do some kind of mech filtration first.
Um Im not sure of the price Ill check it out tomorrow, I think it would be more expensive than the scrubbers but I cant find any of them so I have been looking for other cheap alternatives.
Heres another picture of the stuff im talking about.

3857508.jpg

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
i would keep it rolled and then run water from the center out or unroll it and layer it like six inches thick

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Gutter guard will work but is about AUD$2 per roll. Why dont you drive down to nearest trawler netting manufacturer (yellow pages) and ask them for their offcuts? When repairing nets they usually cut out sections which have lots of holes and thier industrial bins are usually full of discards. Best part is it is easy to load (just stuff it in) and easy to remove (just pull it out).

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
5 gallon bucket of bioballs is 30 @ TFP if you go on ebay you can get them a lot cheaper.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store