Buying a Bearded Dragon - HELP!

cardinal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
detroit
At my son's request I am going to buy him a bearded dragon. I have a good LFS that has 2 guys that are pretty knowledgeable. But I always like to get as much help-advice as possible.

This will be my first lizard, always been a fish keeper, no dogs or cats since the kids came along. I have a 30 gallon tank to use for the dragon. But is it better to use the aquarium top with the light or put the light over a metal-mesh top??

I plan on getting a heat rock and crushed walnuts to use as a base. The LFS seems to sell quite a few dragons and currently has 2 healthy looking males that are about 4-6 inches (body-length)

Any suggestions for starting this new hobby would be appreciated. My son is only 5 so most of the responsibility will fall on my shoulders and I would obviously hate to have something happen to his first pet.

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Crushed Walnut = No

Heat Rock = No

I would seriously question how knowledgeable the guys at the pet shop are if they suggest either of these even as options in a bearded dragon setup.

Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do. Here's a good place to start:

www.beautifuldragons.com

Please read this page thoroughly before you purchase the dragon. They are a little more involved than most people tend to think and you need to make sure you are going to make a commitment in both time and money for the lizard.

But an answer your other questions, use a screen lid. On top of that, you need to place the basking light (to get the hot spot in the cage around 100 degrees) and then use a separate florescent fixture for the UVB light. There are special florescent tubes, similar to fish tank lights, that emit UVB radiation. Your dragon absolutely needs this to survive indoors.

Use reptile carpet or newspaper if the dragon is young, playsand can work for older dragons but it needs to be replaced quite often.

Do not use the crushed walnut shell. If they ingest it accidentally during feeding, it can tear their insides up and cause impaction, which can require surgery or result in the death of the animal.

If you feel like Bearded are too involved, look into something like a Leopard Gecko. Much less maintenance and their lighting and dietary requirements are much simpler. Great first lizard or for a child.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I've never had a Beared Dragon but I can tell you right now that heat rocks are a bad idea. Use an under the tank heater or a heat lamp instead. I believe these guys need a pretty high basking temperature of atleast 100?F and a UVB light system is a must. If your going to use the the 30 gallon, get a wire mesh top for it. That tank will be fine for a Juvi. but will need up graded in a year of so.

As for substrate, pine shavings and crushed walnut are a no, no for reptiles. Try using reptile carpet or B&W newspaper for bedding while your dragon is still small. You can change over to playsand when it is an adult but not everyone likes sand.

I'm sure other people on here who have them can give you better advice. Good luck with your dragon!

cardinal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
detroit
Thanks for the info - I'm glad I asked. I'll check out the website completely. He seems to have his heart set on a dragon right now, but I will see what I can do.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
If you want a beardie, stick with a beardie, tbh Beardies arent harder to care for than leo's, except u have to watch you dont get humidity in the tank with beardies. If thats what you want, you should get it, providing you look up on them what's the problem? Also geckos are nocturnal, so everytime your son wants to handle it , he'd just be disturbing it, beardie have lots more character/interaction I think than geckos, but thats just on my experience. Good Luck :)

David Tobler

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
Fresno,CA
www.myspace.com
elevatethis;984581; said:
Crushed Walnut = No

Heat Rock = No

I would seriously question how knowledgeable the guys at the pet shop are if they suggest either of these even as options in a bearded dragon setup.

Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do. Here's a good place to start:

www.beautifuldragons.com

Please read this page thoroughly before you purchase the dragon. They are a little more involved than most people tend to think and you need to make sure you are going to make a commitment in both time and money for the lizard.

But an answer your other questions, use a screen lid. On top of that, you need to place the basking light (to get the hot spot in the cage around 100 degrees) and then use a separate florescent fixture for the UVB light. There are special florescent tubes, similar to fish tank lights, that emit UVB radiation. Your dragon absolutely needs this to survive indoors.

Use reptile carpet or newspaper if the dragon is young, playsand can work for older dragons but it needs to be replaced quite often.

Do not use the crushed walnut shell. If they ingest it accidentally during feeding, it can tear their insides up and cause impaction, which can require surgery or result in the death of the animal.

If you feel like Bearded are too involved, look into something like a Leopard Gecko. Much less maintenance and their lighting and dietary requirements are much simpler. Great first lizard or for a child.
I'm glad to see someone is on top of things around here. I think that is some good advice, but silica playsand is not reccomended for dragons.

Here's my brief summary on Bearded Dragon care:

Temps: Hot spot of 90 to 100. Daytime ambient temps of 75 to 85. Overnight lows of 60 to 70 degrees are fine.

Lights: "UVB" bulb in the form of a Mercury Vapor (doubles as a heat lamp) or Power Compact. UV lights should only be left on 10 to 12 hours a day. I still ask myself daily, if these bulbs really are worth it? I will say that the coloration of reptiles and overall activity level increases with the use of a UVB bulb. Though as far as the bulbs replacing natural sunlight and helping the reptile synthesis vitamin D3? I'm not so sure. I still vote "yes" for the use of UVB bulbs. I will say the key to having a really healthy dragon is giving natural unfiltered sunlight. I would give the dragon atleast a few hours per week of sunlight. Place them outdoors (in the shade on really hot days) for a few hours, you'll see a definate increase in coloration and activity level the longer you keep your dragon outdoors.

Vitamin Supplements: Rep-Cal Herptivite & Rep-Cal Calcium/Vit. D3. I also like Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-all. Young dragons, hatchlings to 6-8 months of age should have some portion of their food dusted daily with the Calcium/Vit. D3 and twice a week with the multivitamin. Slightly older dragons, 8+ months I say twice a week with both the Calcium/Vit D3 & Multivitamin.

Substrate: Newspaper, Papertowels or a fine grade calcium carbonate sand. I personally like CaribSea's Reptilite calcium sand. Stay away from T-Rex's or Zoo-Med's calcium carbonate substrates, I've seen too many animals do poorly on those.

Food/Feedings: Insects should be crickets, mealworms, silkworms, and waxworms. Veggies and Greens should be consisted of primarly dark leafy greens, and a variety of veggies that contain little or no oxalates. Romaine lettuce, green leaf lettuce, kale, and mustard greens. Zucchini, squash, carrots, bell pepper, and radishes. Don't feed fruits, it's not neccessary. Also stay away from broccoli and calliflower. Baby mice can be given to larger dragons as well.

Young dragons should be fed 2 to 3 times a day with crickets, for the first 6 to 8 months. A dish of mealworms should be available daily, along with greens and veggies. Young dragons can recieve the occasional silkworm and waxworm.

Older dragons should be primarly be fed king mealworms (Zoophobas morio) on either a daily or every other day basis. Leafy green and veggies every other day. Baby or pink mice can be fed once every other week for adults, or once a week to condition them into breeding weight. Silkworms should be offered occassionaly and waxworms sparingly at this point.

Water: Dehydration is a big killer of young bearded dragons! Young dragons need to be misted daily to ensure they are properly hydrated for the remainder of the day. They often do not reccognize a water source for sometime. Older dragons will often be seen drinking from a dish, so mistings are no longer neccessary after the first 6 to 8 months.

Cage furniture: Place a few sturdy branches into the cage and maybe a couple large rocks. Placing a branch that extends towards the heat lamp, will aid in thermoregulation. "Hide spots" are not necessary for the most part with this species, unless of course they are brumating or digging a nest to lay eggs.

cardinal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
detroit
Thanks for all the information everyone - I am soaking up EVERY word.

I will probably be getting the dragon in a 7-10 days and will post some pictures then.

Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store