400 gallon filtration upgrade help

exupru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2007
essex
hi
i want to upgrade my 400g set up 6.5x4.5x2.5 at the moment i have a 20g capacity Yamitsu mega xl filter rated for 1000g of koi with a fluval 404 as back up and it all seems to be struggling im doing two 75 gallon water changes a week to keep my levels reasonable.
stock is
32inch red tail cat
24 inch mamaratus cat
3 pacu 2x 15inch and one 20 inch
18inch pengasius
14inch plec

thanks

JonF

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario
I would go with at least a 75 gallon tank... but preferably twice that. You could do it pretty cheaply by finding the tank used and filling the wet/dry drip portion with pot scrubbers. Otherwise, you could always add another canister like the FX5. IMHO... the sump is the way to go with a tank that size.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
When you say that you have too much trouble with keeping up with the levels... Do you mean that the nitrates are building up too fast, or are you having problems with the ammonia and nitrite building up? If the nitrate is building too fast, either you have too many fish, feed to much, or you aren't doing a large enough water change. I personally do 50-75% water changes on my tanks weekly. If your ammonia and nitrite are building up fast, that means you need more bio filtration. In which case you could add something easy like an AC110 or two, or an emperor 400 or two. If it is the latter problem, GET FILTERS FAST.

exupru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2007
essex
hi
ammonia and nitite are my big prob no space under tank its more of a pond so it sits on the floor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store