black painted back ground on my 240 just got done check out the pics and article

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
Hey what's up again guy's i just got done painting the back on my 240. Looks great was the only opion for me those tape on the back back grounds suck bad the last one i had i hated it. With the water allways getting in between it and the back of the tank causing streaks and all that. Any way's it took me 4 coats of paint and 9 cans of spray paint as a heads up to any one that is thinking about doing this. I first layed it on it's front pane of glass on a bunch of pillows so the paint couldn't run and look like crap. Then i mask it up completly with news paper and masking tape. The first two coats i sprayed on very littly i mean very lightly just to put a litter texture on it for the rest to stick to. Because glass is a slippery texture to other wise it would glob up and run all over and make a mess and look like crap. After the first couple of layers were on i gave it to it it a good manor spray 2 more thick coats on it. After the first one i lit a candle and stuck it on the inside and you could still see through it with the light so i put the second coat on it. After that i did the same thing and it was completly covered and you could see anything through it any more let it dry un masked it and took some pics. Check um out and tell me what you think any way's here's my day.

Sincerly

JEffrey allen Braley

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
It's a lot of work, but worth it in the end. You did a good job.

I use several different different colors and streaked mine horizontally (kind of a river bank effect).
Is it filled back up yet! :ROFL:

Dr Joe

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
no it's not filled back up yet. It's in my basement i'm moving this week so it won't be filled up yet. And i'm still waiting to get my filter system all i have right now in the tank and the stand that i just built that can be seen in another diy that i posted like a week ago thanks for viewing and the kind word you'r right you can't tell till it's full but it looks sweet in person. And ya it was alot more work then i thaught it was going to be that's for sure

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
now i'm thinking about taking the oak base apart that i built for it holding the 8 foot piece of fiberglass board 2 inch piece on the bottom and painting the fiberglass board piece black i wish i had of thought of painting it before i had put it torger you know any ways will be fun some other day i guess.

Lonewolfblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Looking good. So how do you like the spray paint?

QueenslandeR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Queensland ~ Australia
that looks great i just got my 180g on saturday and am in 2 states of mind on what i should do to cover the back... i was thinking either paint it or maybe use contacted black card. did you use any specific type of paint on the glass (like acrylic) so it could be removed easily if required?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store