Can you run just a sump on it's own?

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
Im going to be filtering my 6x2x2 with 55gallon Wet/Dry sump which will turn my tank over 5 times an hour Will I need any additional filtration? The tank is going to have a Jardini and a few silver dollars....

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
i don't see any reason as to why you couldn't run a sump on its own. Given that it contains enough bio filtration to support you stocking levels. However most people add a second, sometimes more filters, so as to have a backup when one or more fails. Hope this helps :)

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
Yeah it should have enough bio filtration.
I just read that you need too run a canister as well for some reason that I cant remember.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
SUMP should be enough, but you'll want backups, so a canister added on will be improtant.

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
TCZeli;994481; said:
SUMP should be enough, but you'll want backups, so a canister added on will be improtant.
:(Damn...
I guess ill buy the almighty FX5 then, but I wont have money to decorate the tank for a while.:)irked:why did I have to get myself fired...

Do you reckon a Fluval 305 will be alright as a backup filter? I have one I could use....

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I personally DO NOT see the need to add anything onto a sump in the way of extra filtration. If your sump is setup correctly you should never have any issues with your filtration. Personally I would save my money and not worry about another canister. If you want you could put the 305 on but I think its very redundent.

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
dr_sudz;994515; said:
I personally DO NOT see the need to add anything onto a sump in the way of extra filtration. If your sump is setup correctly you should never have any issues with your filtration. Personally I would save my money and not worry about another canister. If you want you could put the 305 on but I think its very redundent.

alright thanks for the feedback.;)

Heres the layout of my sump.
Prefilter on the drip plate
Wet/dry chamber filled with plastic media
then inbetween the baffling I would put Ceramic rings biohome then some sponge.

Attachments

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
Skip the ceramic rings just use a sponge. Otherwise you will have your nitrates go out of control! The wet dry should be able to handle everything in your tank by itself. If I remember correctly I believe its 1 gallon of bio balls = 30 gallons of filtration. Just rinse your sponges regularly and change the floss as it gets dirty.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
dr_sudz;994515; said:

Like I said a sump will be enough to filter your tank, but you WILL want backups. You don't want to go to work and come back in 8+ hours to find that the pump in ur wet-dry burnt out or your overflow clogged up.

You do not need the canister for extra filtration so much as main filtration (for a limited time) if the sump stops.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store