what to feed new red tail catfish

thayayballa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2007
bay area
i just bought a red tailed catfish. it is about 4 inches. it lives in a 135 gallon with 2 small oscars. what can i feed it? do i have to feed it live food? what other foods can they eat?

thanks

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
One of the things about an RTC is that it can and WILL eat most anything it can get into its mouth. Just make sure that your feeding enough so that the O's don't scarf it all down before it hits the bottom. Young RTC's are usually shy and prefur to eat at night when the tank lights are out. cut pieces of market shrimp...frozen krill...and chicken hearts are big favorites with our RTC. She was just over an inch long when we braught her home about 9 months ago. She just hit 14" in length.

Bgonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Monroe twp NJ
Sometimes little guys can be a bit finicky. Live blood worms and small earthworms are never passed up unless the little guy is stressed. Once on that shrimp or smelts should pack on some weight.

Good luck .......

And post some pics :D

bob

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
blood worms are my fav for baby cats. Cut shrimp or krill are great also!

Florencebigfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2007
Florence, KY
I got a new one about 3 weeks ago and he eats about everything. Worms live feeders frozen food. Like they said about anything it will fit in its mouth. Most of them arent to finiky. I fact my jurinies and my red was fighting over two worms tonight and the rtc won so dont get discouraged. Good luck

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Snake_Eyes;999896; said:
In 6 months (or less) it'll be eating the oscars.
Longer than 6 months. But yeah, it might eat the oscars if it grows big enough.

I never knew somebody would have problems feeding a rtc, considering they eat anything and everything lol.

parker21104

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2007
washington
well considering the rtc is @ 4" in 6 months that thing could be up 14" easily and in with small oscars those will be dinner soon. heck in 18 months my rtc was 24" eating anything it could put in its mouth including my 12" african tiger fish.

thayayballa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2007
bay area
i am thinking about feeding small pieces of shrimp. how much should i feed it and how many times a day? its kind of scared to come out from under the driftwood. should i just let the shrimp sink down near it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store