Eheim vs. Tetratec

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
I must say that 10 years ago when I couldnt afford Eheim external filters, I thought the world of them and always wanted one.

When I set my new tank up, I bought an Eheim 4ft tank which came as a set and had an Eheim filter along with it and presumed that I would be sorted!

It had an Eheim 2222 External Cannister filer which looked great but for some reason had a tiny amount of filter material in it and a gap at the bottom about the same volume as the pads that came with it!

I soon found out that on its own it couldnt cope and through a long series of trial and error have replaced it with a Tetratec External filter.

I had the following in the tank:
Eheim 2222
Eheim Ecco 2212 internal (700 ltrs p/hour)
Aqua One Internal (1200ltrs p/hour)

I found that with my fish I had to do a waterchange every 2-3 days of about 50%. The test kit I had was reading safe but the water looked horrible and there were huge algae blooms and I had to keep cleaning the glass every 3 days.

What I have running now:
Tetratec EX1200 external (running in)
Eheim 2222 External
Eheim 2212 Eco Internal

I ran it for a week, with crystal clear water. The tests came up perfect!
I did a waterchange as I though it would be a good day to do it. The Tetratec was brand new so basically there wasnt much bio happening yet but still the water was sparkling.

With the eheim I had loads of crap floating around... the water would yellow within a day (I do have bog wood but it wasnt just that). With the tetratec, I have clean, clear water. No floating material even within a minute or two of the oscars spitting out most of it after eating.

I think that perhaps Eheim is over-rated... or the other companies have learned and are putting out great products. Definately try one of these products... they cheap and work brilliantly, with realy quality rubbers.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
with the Eheims it just depends on how you have them setup (media wise) and that they get cleaned fairly often. I used to have an eheim but I dont like them, they are very expensive and their GPH rates are very low (in my eyes).

you can get a way bigger bang for your buck with a FX5 at 625 gph w/ media and there are other as well the FX5 just happens to be my favourite, I havent cleaned in a few months (im lazy when it comes to cleaning filters) and it is still running perfectly and still crystal clear.

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
since joining last week the word FX5 has been used a lot...
What manufacturer makes these? Rena?

I am going to be building a 7ft monster tank for my clown knife and was thinking of using 4 of these tetratecs instead of a wet / dry sump...
The advantage of this is that i could clean one a week and still have maximum bio in the other 3... also they would have a great turnover rate (4800ltrs p/h in total) and the dead quiet!
They cost like £75-85 each depending where I go...

The FX5's... could I run my 7ft on a couple of those... or should I not be silly and go with the sump?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Few problems. One, you have the lowest lines of Eheim, which are not good filters anyway. Two, the tetratec's addition would not affect algae growth.

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
strangely enough though... the algae has improved... and instead of the fast growing green light algae... (due to before having high No3) I now have no algae growing except a little bit of much darker algae... but very minimal (low nitrates / nitrites)

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The FX5 is a great Mech filter, kind of like the tetratecs, but to a larger scale. The use of these can house bacteria, but for large stocks, you need a bio-filter such as a large Eheim. Eheims that you can trust are the classic line, the pro 2 line, and the pro 3 line. Mech filtration on most eheims is not that great, but that is why you run a second filter as a mech filter.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The only way that nitrates would lessen is one if the tank isn't cycled, and it is still in the form of ammonia, or two if you lessened the number of fish in the tank/stop feeding as much. Green algae grows primarily off of light, very little nitrogen (can take any form) is needed. It can also grow well off of phophates.

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
Aah ok... so the FX5's are great for getting rid of the floaties... and the Eheim is great for the bacteria.

So what would you reccomend on a 7ft tank with 3 oscars and a clown knife living to a ripe old age and eating like kings :)
(also a few catfish...perhaps 4)

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
7foot by what???

Personally I'd recommend going with an Eheim 2250, 2260, or a 2262 (all three are classic models, not as user friendly as the pro models, but they get the job done, and don't break down) or eheim 2028, 2080, or 2078. For the smaller ones (2028, 2078, 2250) I'd run an FX5 with them. For the larger ones (2260, 2262, 2080) I'd run your tetratec and an Aquaclear 110, with three layers of foam, or 2 foam 1 carbon.

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
WyldFya;1003597; said:
The only way that nitrates would lessen is one if the tank isn't cycled, and it is still in the form of ammonia, or two if you lessened the number of fish in the tank/stop feeding as much. Green algae grows primarily off of light, very little nitrogen (can take any form) is needed. It can also grow well off of phophates.
The tank has been running for just over 3 months... every 3 days 50% waterchange due to the yellow water and algae!
I added the tetratec EX1200, did a waterchange... and had a week of no yellow, no floaties... and almost no algae... did a waterchange of about 40% on sunday as there was almost no crap in the tank and have a spotless tank today... will do a 30% on sunday again and see how far I get :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store