cycling methods

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
I have cycled many tanks before, but never for a stingray (although I have been very successful with seahorses who are also very sensative). What is the method most used by all you experts. Do you cycle with pieces of raw shrimp dropped into the aquarium, do you cycle with hardy fish (and if so, how do you avoid introducing disease?), do you cycle by seeding with filter media from an established aquarium? Which method works best for a large aquarium and for such a sensative fish. Also, how long does your method usually take?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Use an existing filter, don't chance it.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
WHat if the existing filter is not big enough for the new tank? BUt the new tank also has a new filter. Would this still seed properly?

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
I'm guessing run the existing filter at the same time as the new filter and this will seed the new one? Will this cause a spike high enough to make the aquarium ready for a bioload as big as a ray?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Use new and old filter. What size filters do you have available?

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
Right now I have a rena filstar xp2 that is for an aquarium up to 300 gph (this is on a 75 gallon, not the aquarium the ray will be in). I am getting a 180 gallon next week and am not sure what filter to get for it yet. I was thinking of getting a rena filstar xp3, which is up to 350 mpg and running it along with the filter I already have. I'm not sure if this will be enough filtration. I was also thinking of getting a wet/dry filter of some kind. As you can see, I'm still trying to work out the details.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Cycling with a large chunk of raw shrimp is the safest and most effective in my opinion..

The rotting shrimp will create an extremely high amount of ammonia, growing a large amount of nitrifying bacteria. I prefer the bacteria additive 'Stability' by Seachem, as I have cycled large ray ponds in just a short period of time with a combination like this.

Using an existing filter will work well also, but keep in mind that you only have as much nitrifying bacteria as your bio-load. Your currently cycled Xp2 only has as much bacteria as the amount of ammonia that has been going into that tank. So unless your 75g is extremely over-crowded, the current bacteria being harbored in the biomedia is only 1/10th of what you will need for Rays.

Rays have an extremely large bio-load, thats why overdoing it with the Ammonia spike at the initial cycling of the tank is important.

Also, make sure you have enough surface area to harbor the large amount of nitrifying bacteria that you will need for the Rays.. I often sacrifice the area in canister filters that is designated for carbon, too add more biological media, such as BioMax Beads or Matrix media by Seachem.

You also might look into a wet/dry trickle filter, they are very low maintenance and are excellent at harboring large amounts of nitrifying bacteria.

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
i would use a wet dry and the shrimp method
i have a 300 gallon pond cycling right now with 4 big rotting tiger shrimp i also seeded the wet dry with bio balls from my other tank

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
Great advice! I will cycle with a large piece of shrimp, this is how I cycled for my seahorses too, and I will also run the old filter to help seed the aquarium. Yes, I was thinking about a wet/dry filter. I've seen some on ebay, but I don't really know what to look for in one because I've never had that type of filter before. How many GPH should I shoot for, if I run it along with my 300 GPH canister filter? What is an acceptable price? This filter is for a 180 with two juvenile rays.

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
Just use clear ammonia you would buy at the supermarket make sure not scented just regular clear ammonia. Thats what i use to cycle my tanks and get the ammonia up nice and high and let it burn off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store