Extreme tank make-over; goodbye background

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
As some of you know I have/had a tank with a beautiful background (made by the previous owner of the tank). I had plans to remove the background for a while to give the fish some more room.

Well yesterday my mate Haiko (Stiffmeister) and myself planned to remove the background from the tank. First thing to do was to remove all the fish from the tank.
I had a spare 80x60x35 cm tank wich I planned on putting the bichirs and the gars in and for the arowana and the datnioid I had two syrofoam transport boxes.

Datnioid out of the tank into holding:

Semi-short body endlicheri out of the tank into holding:

Big endlicheri female out of the tank into holding:

Polypterus and gar holding (80x60x35 cm tank):

The stick inside is 1':

After catching this fish and hooking up the pumps for the temperary holding tanks, we started on the main tank. First thing was to make shure the sump kept on running and removing the hood for better acces.
When finally beginning on the background removal we found out the background was a little bit harder than we had hoped. We had to remove a lot of small pieces, as you can see here:

After a while we could get enought grip to pull the background out the tank, luckely the pieces that came off where quite big so in all the removing of the background take about 3 hours (please correct me if I am wrong H.).

After the removal of the background whe had to scrape off the silicone and clean the tank of any unwanted materials. He's it's being refilled (90% freshwater with aqua-safe)

Here is the datnioid just before it was reintroduced into the tank:

This is when we just finished putting all the fish back in:

Check out the circles on the back, this is from the silicone to hold the background in place.

This is a pic of the dat when he was just reintroduced in the tank, the tank wasn't clear yet so the pic isn't good.

Here's a pic of one of the gars just back in the tank:

Other gar:

The arowana and a gar:

These are some more pics of today (the make-over was yesterday).

The male endlicheri with the biggest female, all the other bichir are on the other side of the tank.

This is the semi-short body endlicheri female:

Arowana, you can see the pectorals have been nipped:

This is the left side of the tank:

This is the middle:

This is the right:

This is the overflow:

As you can see I did not put any gravel back in. I wanted to try this for a while and so far I like it. I have yet to buy a black background wich I am going to add soon.The water is still pretty green/blue from the big amount of aqua safe I put in because of all the new water.

Finally I want to thank Haiko for his effords and company, I had fun bro ;)

Cheers Koen

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Thanks guys! @ B. je ziet nu de silicone al niet meer, dit waren luchtbelletjes die erop bleven zitten, maar die zijn al weggetrokken.

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Sold them bro, they where getting to big for my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store