Fx-5's

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
i'm stepping up my filtration on one of my tanks, and i was wondering your reviews of the fx-5, any problems or praise you have had are appresiated.

sabotage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Outside Philly
had my first real problem today, stopped working .>was told to clean the impellor, did that, isnt as quiet as it was , mayne i didnt seat it right...but i ts a great filter IMO!!!

Sandee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2006
NJ
www.sandeeland.com
Here's my nickle comment on the Fluval FX5. After buying 405s and 305s and being pretty happy with them on my 55, 75 and 125 gal tanks ... when I got my 220 gal ... I was ready to buy the FX5. Got a great price online, the setup was easy and all was well. However ... after listening to all the debate between Eheim and Fluval (almost as bad as Mac vs PC!) I thought ... well, maybe I'll try an Eheim. Because, if you don't actually have something and see it work for yourself ... the rest are just comments and feedback from others, right?

Anyway - my tanks were always ok, fish were healthy, no problems. But I did notice other folks and the LFS seemed to have the crystal clear water I always worked toward, and never really really had with the Fluvals.

In summary ... I got an Eheim 2217. HOLY SMOKES what diff! In one day ... the water on my 55 gal was PERFECTLY CRYSTAL CLEAR! Seriously, the hype is true. That doesn't make Fluval a bad filter ... and yes the Eheims are a bit more money, but geez, I'm a believer now. I'm slowly converting my tanks over to Eheims. I've relplaced the FX5 with the monster 2260 (on the 220 gal). And also have 2 2215s and 2 2217s. Below is a stock photo, but gives you a good comparison. Like I said - I wasn't disappointed with any of the Fluvals - they were easy to use, the media trays are nice, but the results of the Eheim have convinced me to go with that brand. BTW, the motor unit failed on the FX5 after 5 months - Fluval replaced it with not questions asked. Good cusomter service.

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
also where do you guys buy your filter media, and how much does it cost to fill up this filter with media?

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
Sandee;1027738; said:
Here's my nickle comment on the Fluval FX5. After buying 405s and 305s and being pretty happy with them on my 55, 75 and 125 gal tanks ... when I got my 220 gal ... I was ready to buy the FX5. Got a great price online, the setup was easy and all was well. However ... after listening to all the debate between Eheim and Fluval (almost as bad as Mac vs PC!) I thought ... well, maybe I'll try an Eheim. Because, if you don't actually have something and see it work for yourself ... the rest are just comments and feedback from others, right?

Anyway - my tanks were always ok, fish were healthy, no problems. But I did notice other folks and the LFS seemed to have the crystal clear water I always worked toward, and never really really had with the Fluvals.

In summary ... I got an Eheim 2217. HOLY SMOKES what diff! In one day ... the water on my 55 gal was PERFECTLY CRYSTAL CLEAR! Seriously, the hype is true. That doesn't make Fluval a bad filter ... and yes the Eheims are a bit more money, but geez, I'm a believer now. I'm slowly converting my tanks over to Eheims. I've relplaced the FX5 with the monster 2260 (on the 220 gal). And also have 2 2215s and 2 2217s. Below is a stock photo, but gives you a good comparison. Like I said - I wasn't disappointed with any of the Fluvals - they were easy to use, the media trays are nice, but the results of the Eheim have convinced me to go with that brand. BTW, the motor unit failed on the FX5 after 5 months - Fluval replaced it with not questions asked. Good cusomter service.

interesting, i'll defineltly look into more ehiems i have a classic 2217 which i find to be great. thanks for your reply:)

Sandee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2006
NJ
www.sandeeland.com
One more thing ... the 2260 is SO QUIET! For such a moster filter, it doesn't make a sound! I'm picking up a second one this week. Got a good deal on a used one.

Again, not shooting down the Fluvals, but when you get into that price range $200-$250 for a filter ... do compare. I'm in NJ if you're ever out this way ... happy to show you the fish room! :)

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
bidding for the fluval just ended, bought a $300 new one for $160 off ebay. i'm redoing filtration on most of my tanks, so i'll definelty try a couple large eheims.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store