Study of ray toxin potency

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Brazilian scientists have undertaken a study which shows why freshwater stingrays are so much more venomous than their marine counterparts.

While marine stingrays have small numbers of carefully placed venom-secreting cells, freshwater rays have venom producing cells covering the entire stinger, which makes the wounds they inflict much more painful.

Scientists working in the Laboratory of Cellular Biology at Sao Paulo's Instituto Butantan compared the morphology of the "stingers" of a number of Brazilian rays spanning marine and freshwater species and found some striking differences in the structure of their stingers.

Their findings are due to be published shortly in the journal Toxicon.

Stingers
Most species have between one and three stingers on the end of their tails, which are covered with special epidermal protein cells that secrete a toxic venom.

In marine species, the protein cells are located only around or inside special ventrolateral grooves which run along the sides of the stinger.

However, in freshwater stingrays, there are much greater numbers of protein secretory cells and they're spread over the entire surface of the epidermis, so even a small nick in the skin of the victim could see venom being introduced and a deep wound could see a high dose delivered.

Although stingrays are made up of soft, pliable cartilage, their stingers are mineralised, hard and serrated, which allows them to puncture and tear skin easily.

Reflex
When stingrays are touched dorsally they can often use a reflex action to rapidly whip the tail upwards which can cause the victim to be pierced by the stinger.

Since rays tend to live buried beneath a layer of sand, they can often be inadvertently stepped upon by people bathing or wading in areas where they occur.

The resulting wounds cause intense local pain, swelling and rednes and secondary infection by bacteria.

Wounds from the freshwater stingrays are considered the worst of all and are often accompanied by tissue necrosis, which causes the flesh around the wound to be eaten away.

A number of freshwater stingray species are kept in aquaria.

For more information see the paper: Pedroso CM, Jared C, Charvet-Almeida P, Almeida MP, Neto DG, Lira MS, Haddad V, Barbaro KC, Antoniazzi MM (2007) - Toxicon. 2007 Jun 23.

PFK

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
If anyone has a link to this paper, I'd be greatful, I can't seem to find it electronically....

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
gr8 info, thanks for sharing!

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
the_deeb;1034066; said:
Just finished skimming the paper. Interestingly, the two main freshwater species they used for the study are P. falkneri, P. leopoldi and P. orbignyi. All the IDs seem to be correct based on photographs in the paper. I would have guessed that they'd use some more common species.
thats three... lol. Yeah they collected 3 stingers from each species, and the 3 you mentioned were the only fw, with Dasyatis guttata and Aetobatus narinari as the counterparts to be analysed with. Only skimmed over it, it's late, I'll have a read properly. Doesn't look as good as I'd hoped though lol. You see the eclipses on the leo :drool:
Thanks a lot for the link by the way, I tried searching for it on there earlier and it came up with bugger all. Cheers!

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Awesome article Davo, very interesting subject.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store