Channas are just uber-predators

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I always forget just how lethal snakeheads are.

In my main tank I have a recently acquired 4 inch channa micropeltes.

Because my jardini and bichirs are wusses that don't eat feeder fish I use this tank as a storage tank for feeders for my albino snakehead.

I dropped ten 2 inch sunset platys in and as soon as i dropped them in the little red, who had already eaten today just nailed one of them and gulped it down.

The pbass (also 4 inches) and the bichirs tried but couldn't get them down.

I love my pbass, but he is a crap predator :D He is quick, but not accurate, often misses, and also he can't swallow things very big.

He was trying and trying anyway, and I think the channa got fed up of his trying so decided to show him how it was done. The pbass spat out a platy after a failed attempt and the channa just nailed it and gulped it down head first.

A 4 inch fish eating two 2 inch fish in 5 minutes :D He looks obscene, like he can barely swim :D

I love snakeheads.

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
WOW thats a big sunset platy.

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
Nice I think you should put up a pic of the Albino SH, Ive never seen one.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
the quality is crap, as it's my phone cam. I'd like to post some real pics but I can't find my slide adaptor.

Ps the channa I'm talking about is not the albino, it's my new baby micro :)

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
You Britons are so lucky to have channas available for you. Learn from our mistakes and DO NOT DUMP into your rivers and lakes. If only we can have another chance.....

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Central - it's not really about people doubting them, it's that sometimes I forget how amazing they are too.

This little red I've got is 4 inches, the one in the photo above and he's a young nervous fish, has not bothered any of his tankmates, just hangs out with my senegal bichir and peacock bass. He seems innocent, yet throw in something that's just about small to eat and he goes nuts, turns into a cold blooded killer. I just love their killer instinct, it's amazing to see. They are efficient predators too, they never screw up.

Also people do underestimate them. Even I have, on that thread pound for pound toughest fish I considered maybe a wolf fish would beat a snakehead P4P. That's wrong. Having owned 3 snakeheads and a mal, I can safely say that if they weighed the same, an average mal versus an average striata or micro in a neutral tank would be a brutal whupping in favour of the channa.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Vince said:
You Britons are so lucky to have channas available for you. Learn from our mistakes and DO NOT DUMP into your rivers and lakes. If only we can have another chance.....
They would not survive here vince, too cold :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store