Flowerhorn and Oscar, Tankmates?!!

ahfu25

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2006
NYC
Can a flower horn and albino oscar co-exsist in the same tank.I got a flower horn 2 weeks ago about 3-4 inches. At the lfs they have some albino oscars with some nice patterns and I wanted to get one, there all 2-3 inches.

MATTCB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2005
Maryland
at that size it will be ok for while depending on tank size. FH are very aggresive as they mature and it will kill the oscar in time.

Greenaveli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2006
Ny to Fl and Back Again
For now it'll be cool but soon the FH will have a new tankmate....his name??? Dead Oscar!

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
ya that is one of the big reasons why I dont keep cichlids anymore, as they mature they want more and more room to them selves, some wanting more then others.

I would say if you had say a 180 they could live together without any tankmates but in my eyes that is just a waste for 2 fish...

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
I have an 4" flowerhorn ( was the alpha male of the fry ) Hes in my 360gallon. I put him in there and my peacock bass went to hit him, and the fh head butted the Pbass. Than the arowana put him in his place. But he nor the oscar mess with eachother.

Greenaveli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2006
Ny to Fl and Back Again
Heres an example Lets call the flowerhorn errr ummm lets call him Yanks and we need to find a name for the Oscar ohhh errr ummmm ok i got it lets call the Oscar Mets. See its just nature the Yank will win everytime:grinno:

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
I have an Oscar and a flowerhorn together with no trouble. All depends on the fish.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
ya when the FH is small it will be more docile just like most cichlids but once they reach maturity that is when things will change. In the above pic the FH looks to be around 4-5" not really close to its mature size...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store