"Common Stingray"

ABCDEFG123456

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
U.S.
Hello MFK!
I can't remember if I already asked what I'm about to ask you guys, if I did it was quite a while back. I think it was on another site, but I get conflicting opinions, so more answers is always nice :)

I am interested in buying a Freshwater Stingray sooner or later (most likely later), but I am not sure about which species is best. at Aquascapeonline.com there is this ray available called a "Common Stingray". The folks at Aquatic-Forums said it was a P. reticulatus, and who am I to disagree with that? priced at a mere $75 that is easily the cheapest batoid I have ever seen, second only to the "Clearnose Skate" that Sharksupply.com offers at 5 inches for $50. I am also interested in that skate, but being saltwater it's going to come second to the freshwater ray. I just have a few questions concerning this animal (the stingray).

This stingray will be my first ray. how difficult is the P. reticulatus to care for compared to the classic Motoro ray? Does it make a suitable "First ray", or should the first ray always be a motoro? Also, how big a tank do you guys think one, MAYBE 2 rays would need? Since it's apparently a smaller species, I'm inclined to think that 225 gallon (standard dimension) tank would be suitable for 2. PLEASE TELL ME IF I AM WRONG. I am interested in two because I have heard that stingrays are much happier when they have other stingrays to talk to. Is that true?

Since I'm as green as possible at the ray hobby, I'll only start with one. If it lives, I'll buy him/her a tankmate. If not, then I have a 200+ tank to work with. Worst comes to worst ill either buy 2 of those monstrous Australian crayfish or a Fahaka puffer, which I know i can care for (I do have puffer and crayfish experience).

Thank you very much for your time. :D

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
I dont think anyone truly knows

mshuangchao

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
China - 珠海
There is no such thing as a common ray. Use scientific names.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
I'd recommend a motoro for a starter ray...you will need a bigger tank as 24" deep won't be large enough ponds are usually a better deal for them...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store