Worm Farm

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
It has been brought to my attention that I haven't made a thread about my worm farm. A worm farm is just a way of turning table scraps into fish food. :headbang2

This is my original worm farm (just a plastic tote with compost):

It often had the drain holes plug and would flood when it rained. I had a lid for it but it sometimes would blow off.

These are some of my native earthworms. Florida doesn't get the huge night crawlers that are common farther north.

For my new worm farm, I started with a 160g tub with a threaded drain. I made a drain field and plumbed it to the drain.

The drain field runners are just pipe with notches that I cut with a cordless circular saw.

On top of the drain field, I added some pillow stuffing from an old pillow.

And on top of that, I added a single layer of flower bed weed barrier.

At this point, it was ready for the compost from the old worm farm. I added lawn clippings and composted leaves for extra filler and food. So far, I have not had any worm kills due to flooding. I had the lid blow off only one time so far (heavier lid) and it drained extremely well.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
nice set up... you should collect the water that comes out of the drain... worm tea is very good for plants...

mjmc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2007
columbus, oh
awesome! i've thought often about vermicomposting. a lot of the stuff online talks about keeping it inside. supposedly there is no smell if you feed them in moderation. it might take a while for the wife to get used to the idea, though. i should start on her tonight...

bukster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2007
Toledo
very cool idea. how well do the worms reproduce? i mean how fast can u feed them and still have a decent amount? this would be great for me cuz i fish and only use worms when i go usually plus my lmb, smb, bluegills, and monster cats love the things. much props

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I tried it with Runners ( smallish roaches ) a coupke of years ago. Some escaped, you don't want to face what I still have to face ( free roaches and the wrath of the CEO )...

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I am lucky enough to have a garden so I have a compost heap. There are always worms at the bottom and turning the compost over is good too. I guess its a worm farm without any fences.... I add non fatty dinner leftovers as well as garden clippings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store