any tips to make homemade feed float?

SiApA2

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2007
Australia
hi guys just wondering if anyone here has any tips to make home-made fish food for example.beef heart recipes that float?

Mine tend to sink how to make it float? or atleast for awhile?:)

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
put rice crispies in it ;)

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
mmmmm a bowl of sugary rice krispiesmmmmmm haven't had them in years... there is a store buy me that has tied food to a piece of styrofoam

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Fat floats, but is gross. You could form it into a disk with a "lump" (like a diaphragm)(you know the thingy for women lol) so there would be a pocket of air it would float on top maybe if you made them thin enough. Or if you made them "thick/sticky" enough....You could put the meat in a smallish ice cube tray and use a basketball pump with a needle to put air into the meat......Never tried either just brainstorming for you lol good luck! Both would have to be frozen to serve.(I never have a prob with frozen it lasts a lil longer and smaller fish have a chance)

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Im assuming your already using gelatine in your mix as a binder, so you could simply add some floating fish pellets to the food mix during preparation to provide slightly positive buoyancy. You could also bind it to polystyrene or anything that floats too but the fish might eat some by mistake.

Alternatively, you could make a floating feed ring with onion skin netting and let the fish eat through the net? Or let it sink and make sure you have some scavengers.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If making gel food make a recipe that is not too heavy (lots of gelatine and food with less water) and blend heavily to mix a lot of air in :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store