Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: GLOWFISH

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    06-01-2013 3:31 PM

GLOWFISH

Are glowfish (genetically altered Zebra Danios) supposed to be able to breed? I thought they were sterilized. We now have 400 or so tiny babies of all three colors!
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Fish keeping, it's not so much an obsession as it is....................ah hell who am I kidding?!

www.tropicalfishworld.com

Dorado
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    02-28-2008 10:11 PM
    did they come out solid colors or rainbow?

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Solid.....some of each color.

Fish keeping, it's not so much an obsession as it is....................ah hell who am I kidding?!

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    04-01-2008 10:48 PM
    They're supposed to breed, but the people who 'made' them have them copyrighted, or something. So while you can breed them, I believe it's illegal to sell them under copyright laws, or something.
    We fight more systems when we're passed out on the floor, than the words of Kurt Vonnegut ever could, and all the works of Karl Marx ever could

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    06-25-2009 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread;1066535;
    They're supposed to breed, but the people who 'made' them have them copyrighted, or something. So while you can breed them, I believe it's illegal to sell them under copyright laws, or something.

NObody made them.. The scientest use them to measure something in that water...look it up

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_monger;1066714;
    NObody made them.. The scientest use them to measure something in that water...look it up
    ..If they're genetically altered.. someone "made" them.
    We fight more systems when we're passed out on the floor, than the words of Kurt Vonnegut ever could, and all the works of Karl Marx ever could

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_monger;1066714;
    They are genetically altered using bio-luminescent DNA from sea creatures such as squid. They were "made" in a lab by NIH I believe.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    02-28-2014 3:32 PM
    GLOfish are patented...not copyrighted...like an invention. Scientist were and are genetically engineering some of these fish to study the heart and other organs...the bio-illuminescense helped in some way...Somewhere along the way they decided to sell these to the public and have been created in different colors from Coral and Jellyfish DNA. The first generation was created, the rest have bred naturally and passed on the new genetic blueprint to their offspring. Therefore not sterile...but like mentioned earlier, they are bound by the patent and are illegal to sell without express permission from the creators.

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Paul
    Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
    Blog Entries
    I'm tempted to get pink glofish in my lfs.
    I stand in awe of my body.
    Quote Originally Posted by aclockworkorange
    And lupin doesn't want to do that... He's too busy dancing with his iPod on full blast in a purple room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddball
    I hope you don't later decide to post your other meals, daily events, and bathroom reports.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlaz;1068086;
    GLOfish are patented...not copyrighted...like an invention. Scientist were and are genetically engineering some of these fish to study the heart and other organs...the bio-illuminescense helped in some way...Somewhere along the way they decided to sell these to the public and have been created in different colors from Coral and Jellyfish DNA. The first generation was created, the rest have bred naturally and passed on the new genetic blueprint to their offspring. Therefore not sterile...but like mentioned earlier, they are bound by the patent and are illegal to sell without express permission from the creators.

I knew it was some kinda thing where it was protected. =P Trademark, Copyright, Patent.. whatever.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast