Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: GLOWFISH

  1. #1
    Redtailed Catfish jconley's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Last Activity
    06-01-2013 3:31 PM
    Posts
    1,520

    GLOWFISH

    Are glowfish (genetically altered Zebra Danios) supposed to be able to breed? I thought they were sterilized. We now have 400 or so tiny babies of all three colors!
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

    Fish keeping, it's not so much an obsession as it is....................ah hell who am I kidding?!

    www.tropicalfishworld.com





  2. #2
    Dorado
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    nc
    Last Activity
    02-28-2008 10:11 PM
    Posts
    524
    did they come out solid colors or rainbow?



  3. #3
    Redtailed Catfish jconley's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Last Activity
    06-01-2013 3:31 PM
    Posts
    1,520
    Solid.....some of each color.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

    Fish keeping, it's not so much an obsession as it is....................ah hell who am I kidding?!

    www.tropicalfishworld.com



  4. #4
    Pacu Dread's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Happytown :)
    Last Activity
    04-01-2008 10:48 PM
    Posts
    816
    They're supposed to breed, but the people who 'made' them have them copyrighted, or something. So while you can breed them, I believe it's illegal to sell them under copyright laws, or something.
    We fight more systems when we're passed out on the floor, than the words of Kurt Vonnegut ever could, and all the works of Karl Marx ever could



  5. #5
    Red Devil fish_monger's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    tampa fl
    Last Activity
    06-25-2009 10:07 PM
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread;1066535;
    They're supposed to breed, but the people who 'made' them have them copyrighted, or something. So while you can breed them, I believe it's illegal to sell them under copyright laws, or something.

    NObody made them.. The scientest use them to measure something in that water...look it up



  6. #6
    Pacu Dread's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Happytown :)
    Last Activity
    04-01-2008 10:48 PM
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_monger;1066714;
    NObody made them.. The scientest use them to measure something in that water...look it up
    ..If they're genetically altered.. someone "made" them.
    We fight more systems when we're passed out on the floor, than the words of Kurt Vonnegut ever could, and all the works of Karl Marx ever could



  7. #7
    Redtailed Catfish jconley's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Last Activity
    06-01-2013 3:31 PM
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_monger;1066714;
    NObody made them.. The scientest use them to measure something in that water...look it up
    They are genetically altered using bio-luminescent DNA from sea creatures such as squid. They were "made" in a lab by NIH I believe.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

    Fish keeping, it's not so much an obsession as it is....................ah hell who am I kidding?!

    www.tropicalfishworld.com



  8. #8
    Great Barracuda Superlaz's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Last Activity
    02-28-2014 3:32 PM
    Posts
    2,010
    GLOfish are patented...not copyrighted...like an invention. Scientist were and are genetically engineering some of these fish to study the heart and other organs...the bio-illuminescense helped in some way...Somewhere along the way they decided to sell these to the public and have been created in different colors from Coral and Jellyfish DNA. The first generation was created, the rest have bred naturally and passed on the new genetic blueprint to their offspring. Therefore not sterile...but like mentioned earlier, they are bound by the patent and are illegal to sell without express permission from the creators.



  9. #9
    Viviendo la vida loca! Lupin's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Paul
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
    Posts
    20,536
    Blog Entries
    3
    I'm tempted to get pink glofish in my lfs.
    I stand in awe of my body.
    Quote Originally Posted by aclockworkorange
    And lupin doesn't want to do that... He's too busy dancing with his iPod on full blast in a purple room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddball
    I hope you don't later decide to post your other meals, daily events, and bathroom reports.



  10. #10
    Pacu Dread's Avatar
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Happytown :)
    Last Activity
    04-01-2008 10:48 PM
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlaz;1068086;
    GLOfish are patented...not copyrighted...like an invention. Scientist were and are genetically engineering some of these fish to study the heart and other organs...the bio-illuminescense helped in some way...Somewhere along the way they decided to sell these to the public and have been created in different colors from Coral and Jellyfish DNA. The first generation was created, the rest have bred naturally and passed on the new genetic blueprint to their offspring. Therefore not sterile...but like mentioned earlier, they are bound by the patent and are illegal to sell without express permission from the creators.

    I knew it was some kinda thing where it was protected. =P Trademark, Copyright, Patent.. whatever.
    We fight more systems when we're passed out on the floor, than the words of Kurt Vonnegut ever could, and all the works of Karl Marx ever could



Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. glowfish
    By deepblue101 in forum Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 6:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •