GLOWFISH

jconley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
Columbia, MD
Are glowfish (genetically altered Zebra Danios) supposed to be able to breed? I thought they were sterilized. We now have 400 or so tiny babies of all three colors!

Dread

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2007
Happytown :)
They're supposed to breed, but the people who 'made' them have them copyrighted, or something. So while you can breed them, I believe it's illegal to sell them under copyright laws, or something.

fish_monger

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
Tampa, FL
Dread;1066535; said:
They're supposed to breed, but the people who 'made' them have them copyrighted, or something. So while you can breed them, I believe it's illegal to sell them under copyright laws, or something.

NObody made them.. The scientest use them to measure something in that water...look it up

Dread

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2007
fish_monger;1066714; said:
NObody made them.. The scientest use them to measure something in that water...look it up
..If they're genetically altered.. someone "made" them.

jconley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
Columbia, MD
fish_monger;1066714; said:
They are genetically altered using bio-luminescent DNA from sea creatures such as squid. They were "made" in a lab by NIH I believe.

Superlaz

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
USA
GLOfish are patented...not copyrighted...like an invention. Scientist were and are genetically engineering some of these fish to study the heart and other organs...the bio-illuminescense helped in some way...Somewhere along the way they decided to sell these to the public and have been created in different colors from Coral and Jellyfish DNA. The first generation was created, the rest have bred naturally and passed on the new genetic blueprint to their offspring. Therefore not sterile...but like mentioned earlier, they are bound by the patent and are illegal to sell without express permission from the creators.

Dread

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2007
Superlaz;1068086; said:
GLOfish are patented...not copyrighted...like an invention. Scientist were and are genetically engineering some of these fish to study the heart and other organs...the bio-illuminescense helped in some way...Somewhere along the way they decided to sell these to the public and have been created in different colors from Coral and Jellyfish DNA. The first generation was created, the rest have bred naturally and passed on the new genetic blueprint to their offspring. Therefore not sterile...but like mentioned earlier, they are bound by the patent and are illegal to sell without express permission from the creators.

I knew it was some kinda thing where it was protected. =P Trademark, Copyright, Patent.. whatever. :nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store