Tankmates for a Fire eel

Aribenlaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2006
Tempe, Arizona
I'm coming into possession of a 2' fire eel. What do you guys think. He's in a 125 that is also coming into my possesion. Would cichlids be alright with him? Not like an FH or anything but maybe an EBJD or something of the like. Also, he's being kept in brackish but my current Fire Eel is in fresh. Is there a correct answer on salinity?

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
They are not BW fish. What SG is it in now?

It should be fine w/larger dichlids.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
STONEDFISH;1072147; said:
They can benefit from one teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon, according to an article I just read.
stndfsh
That is a myth. Fish don't neede any salt to help them out, unless treating for ich. There is no reason whatsoever to “treat” a non-infected tank on a chronic basis.

I'd drip-acclimate the fish to FW, at .002/hr.

jah29

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
pa, usa
tankmates for a 2ft fire eel.. well big fish.. from what i experienced fire eels are very peacefull with other fish.. as long as there big enough that the eel cant eat it.. i would prob throw some oscars in there.. an adult JD would probably work too.. fire eels are not brackish.. they can survive for a good period of time in brackish water, providing that the salinity does not get too high, but a lot of people kill there eels trying to keep them in brackish water..

Cichla dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
Springfield MA
www.facebook.com
Tankmates for fire eels... Oscars, Pacus, Silverdollars, Silver Arowanas, Monster Cats, etc... I had my lil 2'' Fire EEL with angelfish and others. My lil eel died though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store