2 gars?

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
my LFS (god i love those guys)

have 2 different kinds of gars. one i am POSITIVE is florida/spotted and another is true alligator (my i.d. not theirs) they have both labeled as spotted but with different prices.

but the third......baffles me. at $7 more than the rest and labeled "gar" in a different tank, on a different aisle. its darker, and has that weird thing where the top ray of its tail is sperated, u know what i mean right? makes me think long nose, but neways.

i'm thinking about snatching it up, to grow out and add to the big guys, if not as a surprise "tank warming" gift for my close friend who just scored a free hundred gallon. but if i decided to keep it, it would eventually need to be in with my current 14"ish spotted.....

so would they get along? cuz if it IS a longnose, i want it, as they are my favorite of all the gars. but if it turns out to be a shortnose or just a different looking spotted, it goes to my buddy.

it would be in with the following other fish:

1 Florida Gar (Lepisosteus Platrhynchus)
1 Orino Peacock Bass (Cichla Orinocensis)
1 White Mullet (Mugil Curema)
1 New-Guinea Datnoid (Datnioides Campbelli)
1 Ornate Bichir (Polypterus Ornatipinnis)
1 American Eel (Anguilla Rostrata)
1 Teacup Stingray (Potamorygon Reticulata)

any foreseeable issues here? also, based on my really poor description, thing there is any chance of it being a long nose? i tried looking through the gar id keys but they all look the same to me. to a point of course, i can tell short noses and floridas apart, but have a problem with shorts and longs. and of course, the other genus is easy tongue.gif it has almost an orange tint to its fins too, and no, its not a charcin.

just lookin for some help tongue.gif

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store