Colisa fasciata fry

webdesigner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.repeatnone.com
I have over 1,000 Colisa fasciata gourami fry. They are 10 days old and dispersed through twenty 1 liter covered containers. The temperature is warm and consistent. I haven't fed them yet because they were born in green water. I haven't changed the water either because it was originally filtered through a Hague potassium-chloride ion-exchange system and I've been testing a wide variety of parameters. I've only seen maybe 10-20 dead fry so far but I feel like I'll need to take some action soon. I was wondering if anybody could offer some insight as to when I can expect them to need brine shrimp. And when will their labyrinth organs to be developed?

Any additional advice or input is also appreciated.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
There are many ways to raise fry so you are going to get conflicting answers and different ideas. Green water is a great way to start off but I like to monitor what is happening and watching their stomach size is my prefered method to determine how much/how often to feed. So I use clear water in rearing tanks and siphon drip in my green water & infusoria or sometimes vinegar eel over a slow airstone. I would recommend seeded sponge filters too if possible.

Finding some dead fry already is not a good sign but it depends on your expectations and how many fish you want to raise. At ten days they will be big enough and ready for live baby brine shrimp. Brine shrimp make an easy to spot red stomach bulge too. I would use larger size tanks than 1L if possible as you can drop the water level to concentrate food and then slowly fill the tank as you need more volume. Shallow depth, wide space is best for optimum growth rates when raising fry as long as they can find the food. The biggest danger now is water quality from overfeeding so add some large gold snails to clean up bottom. Use pre used water from other tanks to water change with if possoble. Labyrinth wont develop for a few weeks but you dont really need to worry as it just happens.

Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store