I can the opportunity to get a free 39 gallon high tank!

stingray94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
Rhode Island
Hello everyone. As the title says I have the opportunity to get a free 39 gallon high tank! The tank is saltwater, I have never had a saltwater tank before. I am assuming that the tank comes with all of the neccasary equiment to set up a saltwater tank, as the tank is currently set up with fish in it. The fish in it are 2 damsel fish and a snowflake eel. Will all of these fish be able to live in this tank for life? I don't plan on upgrading the tank, so if the fish will get to large they will be brought to the lfs so that they will have a chance of a better life. If either of the fish has to be taken back to the lfs what would you reccomend I buy to replace it? Something that is easy to care for. When I collect the fish I will have about a 20 minute ride back to the house. What is the best way to transfer the fish? Should I just put them in a 5 gallon bucket? Also the tank looks like it needs a cleaning from the pictures, can I clean the tank the same way that I would clean a freshwater tank, with a sponge on a handle to wipe the sides? Also would the water change schedule be the same as freshwater? And when I replace the water do I have to buy marine salt or can I use the aquarium salt that I already have? Thank you and sorry for all of the questions.

Title is meant to read I HAVE the opportunity to get a free 39 gallon high tank

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
TheSwampFox;4849314; said:
A trigger in a 39 gallon?

:banhim:

Snowflake eel will not be able to be kept in your tank, as for the damsels, it depends on which species of damsel you have.
Almost all damsels get very aggressive and the eel will get too large. I would start from scratch on the fish and go smaller and peaceful.

BradT85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
Illinois
stingray94;1082597; said:
Hello everyone. As the title says I have the opportunity to get a free 39 gallon high tank! The tank is saltwater, I have never had a saltwater tank before. I am assuming that the tank comes with all of the neccasary equiment to set up a saltwater tank, as the tank is currently set up with fish in it. The fish in it are 2 damsel fish and a snowflake eel. Will all of these fish be able to live in this tank for life? I don't plan on upgrading the tank, so if the fish will get to large they will be brought to the lfs so that they will have a chance of a better life.

Congrats on the new tank. Snowflake will get too big, best to trade it in. The damsels would probably be fine for life.

If either of the fish has to be taken back to the lfs what would you reccomend I buy to replace it? Something that is easy to care for.

I suggest looking at liveaquaria.com to get an idea of what you like and they give decent minimum size requirements. Clowns are always good and even small angels like a coral beauty.

When I collect the fish I will have about a 20 minute ride back to the house. What is the best way to transfer the fish? Should I just put them in a 5 gallon bucket?

They will be fine in the bag, 20 minutes is nothing. A bucket isn't a bad idea though, makes drip acclimating that much easier.

Also the tank looks like it needs a cleaning from the pictures, can I clean the tank the same way that I would clean a freshwater tank, with a sponge on a handle to wipe the sides?

You can use a sponge, but a scraping blade is much better IMO. There are sometimes some tough stuff on the glass and the blade cuts right through it.

Also would the water change schedule be the same as freshwater? And when I replace the water do I have to buy marine salt or can I use the aquarium salt that I already have? Thank you and sorry for all of the questions.

It depends on the bio load just like freshwater. Most people suggest 10% every week or 2. Marine salt is required and is different from freshwater aquarium salt. Just go ahead and buy a big bucket.

Title is meant to read I HAVE the opportunity to get a free 39 gallon high tank

Answers in red, I just barely covered your questions but feel free to ask more. There are alot of more experienced and more knowledgeable people on here that will hopefully chime in also.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
+1 to everything everyone said except Dolphins.....are you crazy????

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
This is VERY important. Your Snowflake eel will NOT live in a 39 gl tank for life. Even though they have fairly slow growth, they can grow to a whopping 1 metre (3 feet) and they are highly predatorial. I suggest you selling him/her and buy some nice different fish. I recommend smaller Grouper. they are beautiful and awesome fish. Other than that go for the tank bro!

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
lix.ma14;4850391; said:
This is VERY important. Your Snowflake eel will NOT live in a 39 gl tank for life. Even though they have fairly slow growth, they can grow to a whopping 1 metre (3 feet) and they are highly predatorial. I suggest you selling him/her and buy some nice different fish. I recommend smaller Grouper. they are beautiful and awesome fish. Other than that go for the tank bro!
Grouper......NO.

Even the small ones get to a foot in length and are very messy fish. The bioload they produce is way too high for a 39 gallon.

As a saltwater noob, you should get small peaceful fish for your tank.

Btw read what others have posted. Everyone already stated that the eel would be too big and need to be sold for other fish.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
jworth;4850347; said:
who said anything about a dolphin? :popcorn:
lol dunno if your kidding, I assume you are.

xdolphinsx suggested getting a trigger for this tank. Crazy idea. Just like the Grouper idea. Ridiculous.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store