Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-13-2011 9:21 PM

media

when i was in school we did a study on bio media. we were trying to find something that had the most surface area and that we could get in bulk cheep. This was all for 4 10,000 gallon tanks and 2 5,000 gallon tanks that were going to need very high levels of bacteria. We were growing tillapia and producing about 100,000 pounds a year. We found that these styrafome packing material had way more then anything else( and not the peanuts, they were tiny little balls a little bit larger then a bb).I don't know how much surface area this stuff had, its in my notes somewhere) so you'd have to take my word for it but this stuff was awsome. it dose float, but that isn't really a problem if your wet/dry trickling. The stuff is so small that there;s not much room between them and aloth they look round they are actully very jaggety. We had a tractor trailer load of it and the only way i knew of getting a hold of it was in bulk. I did find out that many bean bag chairs are also filld with the stuff so you could always buy one and rip it open. i dont kno if this helps but i thought id share it. i also dont take any credit for finding it since it was mainly our teacher.

Darter
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    12-13-2012 9:30 PM
    awesome info thanx alot! how often do you guys clean / change your media?

Red-Claw Crab
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    10-11-2009 8:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seņor_pescados_felices;3303106;
    All surface areas were derived from the numerous biomedia graphs and charts which have been posted after being cross referenced and compiled into one convenient post ^_^
    Hello, may I know where to find the graphs and charts? I am going to use the information on a report I have to make. I can't use the forums in my citation or foot notes. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by blue_francis14; 09-28-2009 at 1:37 AM.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    04-18-2014 2:04 AM
    Hey how about cut up drinking straws? Tip: might be best to put them in a netting/stockings of sorts as if you put directly in a wet/dry, it would be a pain to try to move

How about these artificial grass mats, I have a ton of these...any idea of the surface area?

The old reliables...

This thread was a great guide for me! Thanks to the OP

I also got a big roll of poly-fiber, cheap, definitely get from the fabric store and not from LFS!

No need to spend a ton on bio-balls and ceramic rings when all these cheaper (and better) alternatives are so readily available.
    1,100G Indoor (Intex) Pond! 33" ID Shark, 6x Silver Aro (34" Others are 26-30"), 3' TSN, 2' RTC, 3' Alligator Gar, 2x 1' Silver Dollars
    VIDEO: Hand Feeding my IDs
    VIDEO: Underwater Footage of Monster Pond/Feeding
    VIDEO: Silver Arowana Jumps for Food
    VIDEO: July 2012 Update

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    04-24-2011 3:06 PM
    I what order do I put in the media, bio, mech, and what else. or do i have these in the wrong order?
    120g Planted Angels, 55g Peacocks,55g Green Spotted Puffers,10g Betta, Dwarf Frogs

Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Real Name
    Bobby
    Last Activity
    Today 1:46 PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goalieman59;3526561;
    I what order do I put in the media, bio, mech, and what else. or do i have these in the wrong order?
    Typically, you want your mechanical filtration before your biological filtration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I am pretty sure the goonch gets pretty big..... and he's not shy about showing it off, clearly...
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinfleming21 View Post
    Bobby is like MFK's motivational speaker, "In a Van down by the RIVER!"

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Taylor Carswell
    Last Activity
    02-27-2013 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh;3527200;
    Typically, you want your mechanical filtration before your biological filtration.
    Absolutely. Keep your bio (I am referring to specific bio media bio glass substrate PRO etc) as clean as possible if you choose to use it.
    Obsessive Bichir owner (Endli , Ornate , Delhezi, Sen)
    Monster Catfish League

Chute Boxe Get some

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    08-20-2012 5:42 AM
    Guys will a internal filter ( the one which has a powerhead) with sponge as a media suffice as a filter for a 4ft arowana tank ?
    Quote Originally Posted by josear1286;3546849;
    Nice gator man i was going to buy one but my mother was afraid he would eat the chihuahua ... i told her "mom but its nature"
    Quote Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs;3653141;
    Sorry for your loss.... arowanas are ninjas...
    Quote Originally Posted by lookyloo;3668108;
    It's called "illegal fish in USA Diease".
    Quote Originally Posted by spwd;3676449;
    Yeah should be fine, my great white shark loves it in his 55gal

Bluegill
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    04-02-2013 2:01 AM
    Hi all,

This is a great thread, very helpful. I'm getting ready to set up a diy wet/dry and am looking around for the scrubbies, does anyone know where to find them in bulk here in Australia? Otherwise ebay has 46mm bio balls 200 for $70.

Would it be ok to run some sponges and a layer of felt as the first section, then the bio media, then run some more felt for polishing?

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    08-27-2014 3:24 PM
    I bought scrubbies at a dollar store - 6/$1.00. It took me about 10 different ones to get enough. One guy I talked to about filter media said he didn't like scrubbies because they collect poop, where bioballs just need a rinse and they're good again. Personally, I think its still cheaper to just replace a handful of scrubbies though.

I'd put all of your polishing media in front of the bio media. I use pollyfill, that collects all the poop and everything before it hits the scrubbies. Felt should be ok though, and I'm actually thinking I may add some inline with mine. Then I have ceramic rings and seachem matrix in the third stage.
    My 450g - Video1 Video2 2xPeru Mono, 1xGuyana Occell, 1xKelberi, 1xOrino, 4xIndo Dats, 2xMarble Motoro, 1xMidas, 1xRed Bay Snook, 1xNiger Cat, 1xSilver Aro, 1xBlood Parrot
    My 210g: 1xColumbian Marble Motoro
    120g:1xOrino, 2xOrnate Bichir, 2xSenagal Bichir, 1xSun Cat, 1xLima Shovelnose
    Pond Build:
    1xTSN, 2xRed Ear Sliders, 1xMap Turtle, 1xCommon Pleco

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast