!Big Problem With Hybrid Catfish!

What do you think "took out" your Hybrid Catfish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

20Deep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Between North and South
:confused:Has this happened to anyone yet?

You buy a nice small maybe 3-5" baby Marble x Red Tail hybrid Catfish from an online dealer because its the coolest/newest "sounding" rarest hybrid catfish you have ever seen in your life!? Like this one:

YES! Cool/Small and a potential monster this fish seems amazing!:D
From the first moment it hits the water its the new favorite in your tank, eating out of your hand almost immediately.:ROFL:

You feed it a mixed diet, keep its water clean, and before you know it its been close to 2 months since you have had the little vacuum of a fish! Its grown double its size since you purchased it and its the most amazing looking monster in your tank.:headbang2

Then you come downstairs early in the next morning only to find this:

:eek: :confused: :eek: !DEAD!

The expression on your face resembles this in sequence :eek: :cry: :confused:

WHAT HAPPENED!? You rush to check you water perameters...nitrate, nitrites, ammonia, ph balance... ALL OF IT IS PERFECT... then you look in your tank and see this:

Happy, swimming fish!

Why has your beautiful new baby hybrid died when all of your other fish are fine? What could have went wrong in your perfect water perameters? Did you buy a dud(a hybrid with genetically inferior gene traits)?

:nilly: WHY IN THE WORLD DID THIS HAPPEN? :nilly:

Well, this thread is dedicated to any and all who have lost their hybrids from mysterious deaths! I want to close in on exactly what, when, why, and how these fish are dying in such great numbers under the care of knowledged monster fish keepers.

Please post pictures of any sudden strange hybrid catfish deaths maybe then we can close in on the problem/problems plaguing some of the hybrid keeping community!

Who knows maybe this could become a sticky?(Mods Please Read)

kntrygrl4lyfe

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2007
Pensacola, fl
That sucks. I lost mine too. But he had problems, he didnt just die over night, He had sores on his belly that came out of no where

HKN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
3RD PLANET
sorry to hear that bro...but welcome to the fish keeping hobby, haha, =)

fish pass away with no appearant reason all the time...i'm sure members can all relate...just be glad it wasn't a $200+ fish =)

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Several of us on MFK have marbled redtails that are doing just fine. I have learned from a LFS owner/hobbyest/distributor we know that they are suseptable to stress and to many medications. They require a hiding place when young or they stress out and start breathing hard. This in turn leads to people medicating them. That fact...coupled with the already weakened condition IMO kills a lot of them.

A big part of our hobby is learning to care for differant fish. This is after all how we learned to keep Africans...Discus....Salt....ECT.

I hear a lot about how perfect the water peramitors where and yet the vast majority of people on MFK seem to turn up thier noses at regular water testing.

20Deep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Between North and South
From this point in the polls it seems like mishap is the largest death toll creator for hybrids!

Does anyone have anything to say different?
!Please share your stories!

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
yeh i had a marble cat who grew to about one foot. no troubles in the world. he was almost ready to enter the pond but one day my 8 foot tank was extremely dirty because sumthing was blocking the filtration gap. my fish maintenance man came in and found the dead body of the marble in the filter. i was pretty devastated cause he was a year old. cause of death : unknown. hybrids are known to be unstable. its a matter of luck i guess.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Mine's still strong after initial weekeness and sickness. He's a beast now though.

Bgonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Monroe twp NJ
I had the same problem. All this crazy hoopla surrounding hybrids is a bunch of crap. I think some of them have some issues that just cant be worked out. I will stick with my good old fashioned RTC's that have been treating me good for 20+ years. The rtc x tsn seem pretty solid but the rest........ I'll leave them for you guys. I'm done, I dont have the time or effort to play fishy doctor with a fish thats survival rate is that low. Personally I dont even think they look that cool either.

JMO of course.......

bob

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
yeh i agree to a certain extent. mixing genes that are never meant to be mixed in the first place can cause unpredictable circumstances. kind of like a liger (half lion half tiger) which could never survive in the wild on its own. i reckon RTC*TSN hybrids work because they live in the same amazonian area so technically breeding COULD be very possible. eventhough its not documented. furthermore, they have similar enough genes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store