Warm-blooded Fish

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Scientists now have direct evidence that the north Pacific salmon shark maintains its red muscle (RM) at 68-86 degrees Fahrenheit (F), much warmer than the 47 F water in which it lives. The elevated muscle temperature presumably helps the salmon shark survive the cold waters of the north Pacific and take advantage of the abundant food supply there. The heat also appears to factor into the fish's impressive swimming ability.
:)

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
I read that swordfish is warmer-blooded about twenty years ago.

I would assume that most large fast-swimming fish are a few degrees warmer than the water they are in. The temperature should depend on the species and on the environment.

It is just a thought. I have no idea how it related to the color of the muscle.

I wonder whether or not the internal organs are warm. I would assume that at least the heart is.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Vitaliy said:
Know the names?

Yeah, I've got a list at home (I'm at the zoo right now). I'll dig it up when I get done this afternoon. Alot of them on my list are sharks and other marine fish. It's by no means a complete list in any way, but it should give you an idea.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Vitaliy said:
Know the names?
Tuna and most all of the sharks in the Lamnid family (Mackeral sharks). Species that belong to the lamnid shark family are the salmon shark, white shark, porbeagle, shortfin mako and longfin mako.

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Tuna can literally "cook" themselves when you fish for them, during the fight.
That is why it is best to reel them in quickly or else they might not be able to live because of the dead muscle tissue. It is ok though if you are going to eat them. Its just because they move, at such high speeds and their muscles contract and release so quickly.
Creepy stuff!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store