baby dats eating

rone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2007
nova scotia
i did some reading on this site. im new to datnoids. but anyways. i see people have a hard time gettin them off live feed... well i bought my 2 dats yesterday. my buddy who is the manager at the LFS said that he had them on white clowd minows... so i bought some minows and took the dats home... the dats went crazy on the minows. really cool how they hunt... but then today i thought well lets atleast try the dry blood worms and cichlid pellets... and sure enough. they chowd on them... they love pellets and dried blood worm. isnt that cool.
im really starting to like the datnoid... mine are at all sketchy and come up to me when ever i come up to the tank.. there currently in a 30 gal tank
also i red that some dats need brackish water?
im not sure what kind mine are. they were labled tiger datnoids. for 30$ each
i will post pics when i take some

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
:) welcome to the world of dats, i've never had trouble with my smaller ones but it takes some starving to get the big guys off live. I just lost 12 3" datnoids :( I miss them. any pics of yours?

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
Congrats on the new purchase...now the collecting begins.:nilly:

You don't have to keep your dats in brackish...they will be fine in freshwater.

That's good that they are eating prepared foods already...that will be much less work for you in the future. You can give krill and market shrimp a try too...my guys go NUTS over that.

rone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2007
nova scotia
u mean like frozen raw shrimp... like what i fed my piranhas

rone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2007
nova scotia
so how many juvies do yas think i can keep in a planted 120 gal tank?
10 or so?

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
rone;1123965; said:
u mean like frozen raw shrimp... like what i fed my piranhas
Yup...just remove the sharp parts (tail, "beak", legs). I get mine in bulk from Sam's Club...just thaw it out and enrich it, then feed it to my fish.

rone;1123969; said:
so how many juvies do yas think i can keep in a planted 120 gal tank?
10 or so?
You could keep qutie a few in there for a while. They are very slow growing fish, so they aren't going to out grow that tank any time soon. Dats actually do well in groups too...it helps disburse any aggression and induce feeding on prepared foods when they see others taking it.

Personally, I think you could do 10 in a 120, like you mentioned...but keep an eye out on the juvies in there...sometimes they do better in smaller tanks until they are beefed up a bit.

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
KenyanSandBoa;1126362; said:
Yup...just remove the sharp parts (tail, "beak", legs). I get mine in bulk from Sam's Club...just thaw it out and enrich it, then feed it to my fish.
What do you enrich with? I want to get my bichir on market shrimp soon.

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
Druu;1167199; said:
What do you enrich with? I want to get my bichir on market shrimp soon.
I use a few different vitamins and supplements. You can use Vita-Chem or the supplements that Kent makes...can't think of the name right now. You basically make a marinade to soak the shrimp in for a while. I also pack them with pellets and other foods with high nutritional value that they may ignore if they weren't hidden.

Delgado wrote up a pretty good instructional thread on enriching shrimp...check it out:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70986

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store