carpinte growth rate

scott28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
MD
what is the growth rate of carpinte (might be a carpinte/texas hybrid)? i picked one up at 2in. i beleive it is a female by the black blotch on the fin. is that how you tell the sex? i looked for a female so i dont have males fighting in my tank.

will frequent water changes and good diet increase the growth rate?

ewok

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Undisclosed Location in SOCAL
well first off, i don't think getting a female necessarily removes the fighting out of the equation. i have plenty of female cichlids that put up a big fight and are very nasty towards their tankmates.

back to your question - if you feed them good stuff (e.g. new life spectrum, hikari, kens, frozen foods) and change the water on a very frequent basis (i do ~30-50% water changes on my grow out fish once every 4-5 days), there shouldn't be any reason not to see 1" per month. i am actually moving onto the new life spectrum wagon because i have recently started using their foods and i have definitely noticed that the fish are much more receptive to it and they genuinely love it. if my haitiensis and frontosas are doing well on it, i don't see why other less 'picky' fish won't thrive on it as well. just my two cents.

scott28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
MD
thanks. hopefully it will be 4 inches in 2-3 months so i can put it with my dempsey

DarthV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Canada
2" for a female in 3 months could happen. What size tank is she in? And what size tank are you planning on adding her with the dempsey? My female dominated fish when I had to move her out of her breeding tank (nasty male). She had no problems in putting the boots to a similarly size freddy!

scott28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
MD
she is in a 30 gal (i know its small)

actually i moved her there last night from my 20 high and now she has black blotches. does that mean anything serious?

and they will go to a 75 gallon which now has the dempsey, a pair of convicts that never have bred, and and a ropefish which i am getting rid of.

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
yeh i think about 1" per month

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store