The worst nightmare i ever imagined..happened

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Last night in the early evening we lost power to our house either due to storm or car running into a tree.. an hour went by.. and the power was still off so my husband hooked up the generator. Everything we needed to have power worked except one of the fish rooms.. We could not figure out what was wrong but he scrambled around with our flashlights until we found every plug to every fish tank and hooked them together on another extention cord..I am making this sound simple but this alone was a nightmare..but he succeeded in having every tank {29} running with at least the airbubbles.. we finally got into bed at 1:00 am..We were just dozing off when we heard an explosion...it was so deafening.. we looked out our windows to see if a car had hit a pole..i started to smell a sickening smell of smoke.. My husband ran down the basement stairs into a thick smoke..i screamed at him to come back up but he screamed back at me..and i heard him cry out OMG..the pacu were slamming themselves on the floor..the basement was covered in water and the fish room walls were burned and the 220gal tank was in pieces scattered glass everywhere and still smoke filled the house.. My husband would not come back up ..he said he had to save them.. there was no fire but the water had splashed on to all the hooked up plugs and shorted everything.. by this time i went down to hear one of the pacus flapping in a cornor .. he finally was able to reach him and put him in a big tub of water..then he found the other and the african cichlid.. Smoke still filled the house and i opened every door and window to try and save my parrots ..My husband dried every cord with a fan and but the fish room was dark and all the tanks were down.. he worked through the night until he had new dry wires hooked up to all the other tanks.. he said he could not stop until he tried to save them all..He came up the stairs overcome with smoke and we cried in each others arms for a moment .. then he was gone to the basement again..he would not let me help..he did not want me to see.. but i went down again and in the tub was one huge pacu laying on it's side in the water the other struggling to right himself.. i went numb and i am still numb.. i have no idea whether they will make it.. or anyone else.. it is morning now and i am so afraid to look... but thank god for my husband..some may have a chance..i will go and look soon.. but i am afraid..

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Oh my god Liz. That is horrible. At least you and your husband are all right. Hopefully the all will recover. Are the parrots and dog ok?

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
dragonfish;1129942; said:
Oh my god Liz. That is horrible. At least you and your husband are all right. Hopefully the all will recover. Are the parrots and dog ok?
yes.. i just came back up and one pacu has died.. life will never be the same for me..

ProblEmZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2006
Lynnwood, Washington what!
Ouch. Sorry for your loss, you still have one so keep yer head up and hope he will pull through.

craig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
LONG ISLAND NY
I am sooo sorry to hear about your plight. I loved those Pacus. I am very glad to hear that you and your husband are all right. hopefully everything will work out.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Just keep those little prayers coming my way..i do not care about the awful undescribable mess and i although i am full of heartache for my pacus ..i know the other one will die too.. i just want everyone else to make it.. thats all i am asking for now.

craig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
LONG ISLAND NY
I am very sorry for your loss. Keep your head up and everything will work out .I am saying a prayer for you and your family.
My name is Celeste and Craig is my husband.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store