Sexing a Sulcata

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
How do you tell the gender of a African Spur-Thighed Tortoise?
I'll upload pictures if you need them

vicedretard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
in the river
upload for sure so we can help...look at the base of the tail on the plastron side (stomache) if the " spur" shaped prongs form a "V" its a male if they make a "U" its a female and males will have a concave in the plastron...but keep in mind if your tort is resting over a rock even in small the plastron can concave a bit from the pressure so keep them in a flat are so you can accuratelly see if it concaves if the "U/V" shape isnt definate ...they have to be pretty big to garuntee the judgement...so if its a hatchling or even a year or two its not worth trying...post flicks when possible...

vicedretard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
in the river
yes the plastron try to get a lighted angle shot so we can see concave or not and the tail area ...those pics while it looks like a nice tort with some pyramiding the pics do nothing for sexing...

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
haha o.k., i'll try to get some next weeks. it's my friend's and they bought it off a friend that was moving to Japan, since I guess you can't take Sulcatas there..

And yeah, he was fed too much calcium from the previous owner...
i like the looks of it but is it bad for their health?

DJC776

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Calcium isnt too bad for tortoises it is what it is put on.
I have Sulcatas and they just eat the grass and weeds in their enclosure. The only time that I give them anything different and more'artificial' is if I am worming them.
They come from a poor part of the world where food is not prolific and certainly doesnt include much and protein.
The pictures you have sent do show the fact that your tortoise doesn't have a large shares at the front of his shell under his head which are typically displayed on male sulcatas. My male sulcatas, one of which is a similar age has 2 projections about 2-2.5" long. These are used when contesting with the other males.

They are awesome chelonia so hope you enjoy, just dont stop with the calcium.

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
hey what are long shares?

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
Oh Shell-chan has two pointy things under the head....does that make him a male?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store