MAX SIZE FOR SPOTTED GAR

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
TLkmDN;1136514; said:
how big can a spotted gar grow in an 18 foot pond?
is it an 18' diameter pond? depending on feeding, water quality, and tankmates, a spotted gar could feasibly grow close to 2.5-3' in that situation, given they likely won't achieve their wild max of 44" --
--solomon

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
is the pond indoor or outdoor? i would agree w/ E_Americanus, i think it could reach close to 3' depending on all of the tank parameters and diet as mentioned above..

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
the pond is outdoor but malaysia has tropical weather so we dont need heaters and whatnot. the dimensions of the pond are 16 feet by 8 feet by 5 feet deep. there are 6 fish in there already....RTC,TSN and royal CK....2 of each all over 3 feet!

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
TLkmDN;1138639; said:
the pond is outdoor but malaysia has tropical weather so we dont need heaters and whatnot. the dimensions of the pond are 16 feet by 8 feet by 5 feet deep. there are 6 fish in there already....RTC,TSN and royal CK....2 of each all over 3 feet!
make sure you get that gar BIG before you stick him in with those tankmates. big cats are a recipe for disaster.

to tell the truth...i still wouldnt do it.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
mabye a spotted they can get 4' but in a tank like that i'd get a much better gar or at least a less common on try
long nose
short nose
mabye spotted or florida
crocidile gar (hybrid between alligator gar and either spotted or florida)
and of course my favorite choice the cuban gar
out of thoses i'd defenatily get the cuban if you can find one

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
killerfish;1142337; said:
mabye a spotted they can get 4' but in a tank like that i'd get a much better gar or at least a less common on try
long nose
short nose
mabye spotted or florida
crocidile gar (hybrid between alligator gar and either spotted or florida)
and of course my favorite choice the cuban gar
out of thoses i'd defenatily get the cuban if you can find one
longnose are very thin and easily injured.
shortnose are the smallest of the gar species
spotted/florida are more common and very hardy in aquaria
croc is out of the question. (i think E_Americanus owns the only one).
Cubans are extremely rare in the hobby.

a tropical or florida/spotted would probably be your best bet. T-gar are also very rare, but they may still be available.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
yeah, the ideal gar for the home aquaria, and also if you are looking for something on the rarer side of the spectrum, is the tropical gar, Atractosteus tropicus. they don't get terribly large in captivity and are extremely hardy, not to mention they have highly variable but impressive patterns.

i believe mike of H20 Custom Aquatics (one of the vendors on this site) may still have a few, i would suggest contacting him if he ships internationally, otherwise look up that species in areas closer to you.--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
tropical and cuban gars i can get. but i'm in singapore and don't do shipping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store