Dilemma with stingray tankmates

boxerfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Richmond, VA
Hello,
I’ve already checked the forums for a related topic but none as specific as my question. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I’ve done tons of research on stingrays and came to the conclusion that there’s no concrete concensus on there care. So many differing opinions and facts. Thought I’d ask some people who actually own motoros. I got a 125 gallon (I’ve gone thru issue with size so please don’t get on me about it). Cycled the tank already. Was originally gonna do stingray and discus until I realized that other than color, discus are boring. The tetras and krib I had cycling the tank weren’t meant to be permanent but I kinda grew attached to some. Long story short, I decided to do rainbows, tetras (all over 2 1/2 in) a pair of red shoulder severums, and clown loaches. I got everything except for the stingray and severums. My LFS recently got 5-6 in. motoros for $199. Beautiful fish but I had hoped to get a 4in stingray so that the fish and stingray could grow out together. Question, will a 5-6 inch motoro be able to kill and eat 2-3in. skinny fish. Mostly concerned about loaches and rainbows. The rainbows stay mid to upper level but the loaches dwell on bottom. Has anyone ever kept rainbows and stingrays. I chose all rainbows that get over 5in. btw. I was close to getting a 4in retic with tiny mouth but fell in love with the motoro once I saw it, tho I will wait if necessary. I know about the rule "don’t put stingrays in with fish it can swallow". My question is more so, will the stingray out pace growth more than the rainbows and loaches at sizes mentioned above and eat them.
Btw, I’ve aquascaped the tank by putting a log that arches like a rainbow and is about 2/3 the length of the tank. I've attached water grasses in the crevices of the log and tied thick plants at the edges so that I can accommodate the fish with cover and the stingray with swimming room.

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
sorry. the stingray will definitely kill them. game ova baby. the general rule shud be that the fish must be bigger than the stingray.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
I think you answere your own question.... rainbows are long and narrow. and will defiently fit in the rays mouth no matter what species you choose. it will only be a matter of time... you need to stick with bigger fish and more importantly a bigger tank. sorry had to say it... Most Motoros bet big.

boxerfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Richmond, VA
Dream,
see thats what I meant about conflicting info online. People will say don't put a ray in with a rainbow but in that website, it says good tankmates would be a buenos aires & bleeding heart tetra, which gets under 3in max size. Lots of people say clown loaches but, even the pics that I've seen online, the loaches were smaller than the max size of the rainbow fish species I have. I saw a full grown boesemani rainbow in petstore that was over 5in long (they also grow taller in height than the small ones you see for sale).

Im not disregarding anyones opinions, I know people have their own experiences and opinions. Im just curious if anyone has tried the combinations I want with similar size as I have mentioned.

Also, as far as tank size, the petstore who sells stingrays in my area, who booast about his 30 years experience everytime I ask him questions, quickly reminds me of the full grown retic he's has in a planted 55 gallon for over 2 years which is quite fat and healthy. I don't think its ethical but it works. If ever I do get a sting ray and it appears unhappy in its tank, I'm responsible enough to upgrade to a larger tank.

Nick660

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
South Wales, UK
Unfortunately, just because people show pics of certain fish sharing a tank doesn't mean it lasted long before someone got eaten! Obviously, in the wild predators and prey live together but the prey species do have a chance to escape - not so in a confined tank environment. If you keep predators they will predate instinctively. I think some people try combinations that are not normally recommended, some get away with it, some don't. Fish are individuals so what might work in one set-up may not in another. So long as you accept the risk of losing some fish to predation, In the end, it's up to you.

However, most rays (inc motoro) grow large and quickly if kept in the right conditions so will easily outgrow your rainbows etc. and soon be able to manage a 5" fish no problem!

In my experience, rays put a heavy bio-load on a tank and without an adequate volume of water, your water quality will deteriorate rapidly without frequent, large water changes. A bigger tank not only gives room for the ray to move around properly but also a more stable and manageable environment.

Good luck.

Reactions: mrrobxc

najiru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2006
uk
Well I have my 2 x 9" rays in with some rainbows which are around 3.5". They have been together around 6 months, the rainbows should eventually hit 6" and make a nice display in the tank. The rays pay the rainbows no attention at all. Not to say they wont eventually pick them off but they are doing well so far. The main difference is my rays wont get anywhere near the size of a motoro so you may get more problems when the rays get bigger.

I would go for it, accept the chance that they may get eaten and you might be pleasantly suprised !

N

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store