STINGRAYS (motoros)WITH NATIVE fish????can it be done safely?

100GAL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
RIGHT HERE
Is it possible to keep stingrays with native fish shuch as hybrid bass, crappie...etc? I would think that the biggest concern would be parasites...correct? Is there anyway to quarentine where it would be safe? Just wondering if anybody has done this?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Bad idea.

Parasites..

Water Paramater Requirements..

Temperature Requirements..

Biggest problem I would see is Bioload and Metabolism.. Rays need warm water like 82+.. Put a native fish in that warm water, and they will produce an incredible amount of waste, especially if it's a predator that eats large amounts of live food per feeding.. All of that will compromise the water quality, and probably kill the ray..

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Miles;1150108; said:
Bad idea.

Parasites..

Water Paramater Requirements..

Temperature Requirements..

Biggest problem I would see is Bioload and Metabolism.. Rays need warm water like 82+.. Put a native fish in that warm water, and they will produce an incredible amount of waste, especially if it's a predator that eats large amounts of live food per feeding.. All of that will compromise the water quality, and probably kill the ray..

I would not think the bioload would be more than another stingray though...would it?

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
not many native fish if any, can handle 85 degree temps all year long....

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
You would be able to get away with the hybrid bass ( I have owned them and kept at 84 with no problems) and bass would also be ok in warmer water that about all crappie i don't think would do well. Both these fish will eat non live also.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
csx4236;1150431; said:
You would be able to get away with the hybrid bass ( I have owned them and kept at 84 with no problems) and bass would also be ok in warmer water that about all crappie i don't think would do well. Both these fish will eat non live also.
I agree with the hybrid. I have a hybrid now (not with my rays) that does fine in warm water and eats frozen shrimp. I would think if they do ok that a crappie and bass would too, but i have never tried it.

100GAL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
RIGHT HERE
So mixed answers.... Should I stay away from this idea? I know that these natives will eat prepared food, and produce a lot of waste but with proper filteration and water changes would it still be NO?

Parasites? any more ino than just this?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I would suggest you become an accomplished raykeeper before attempting it.. Competition for food could be an issue, and would any natives try to bite the eyes of a burrowing ray?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store