cuban gar X tropical gar

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
i was just wondering, what would a cuban hybrid tropical gar look like? any ideas are gladly appreciated!

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
xander13;1181293; said:
i was just wondering, what would a cuban hybrid tropical gar look like? any ideas are gladly appreciated!
they probably wouldnt look much different than either individual species. being they are both atractosteus and have similar body proportions.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
since the Cuban has a much broader snout, particularly lower jaw, than the tropical, a hybrid could look like a very stout and broadly snouted tropical gar, perhaps with a little less patterning.

the Atractosteus genus has its similarities, but they also have quite a few differences amongst the species such that they can be ID'd even with minimal pattern (that's how they ID them regarding museum specimens, which are often devoid of any pattern or color).

other than the head and some issues with the finnage (t-gars tend to have much larger fins proportionally than the cubans) who knows. that and since we don't know which traits would be expressed from which species in a hybrid, all we can do is guess...the thought has crossed my mind though; would be an interesting fish :) --
--solomon

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;1181787; said:
since the Cuban has a much broader snout, particularly lower jaw, than the tropical, a hybrid could look like a very stout and broadly snouted tropical gar, perhaps with a little less patterning.

the Atractosteus genus has its similarities, but they also have quite a few differences amongst the species such that they can be ID'd even with minimal pattern (that's how they ID them regarding museum specimens, which are often devoid of any pattern or color).

other than the head and some issues with the finnage (t-gars tend to have much larger fins proportionally than the cubans) who knows. that and since we don't know which traits would be expressed from which species in a hybrid, all we can do is guess...the thought has crossed my mind though; would be an interesting fish :) --
--solomon

i agree...it would be a very interesting mix, but i think there are def. others i would like to see crossed more. Perhaps...
(L. Osseus X A. Tropicus) or maybe (L. Platostomus X A. Tropicus)

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
There is documentation of A. spatula X A. tropicus from one of the Mexican operations. Other than some larval characteristics and brief mention however none ever made it anywhere and the project was discontinued.

L. platostomus X A. tropicus huh......Thats an interesting idea :)

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Polypterus;1181921; said:
L. platostomus X A. tropicus huh......Thats an interesting idea :)
hahaha, i agree...a psychotic, suicidal fish that will eat just about anything but stays smaller than a gator...mainly because it would kill itself before it got too big in the home aquaria.

richard, this could finally be our chance to create the most self-destructive gar ever!!! :nilly:

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;1182166; said:
hahaha, i agree...a psychotic, suicidal fish that will eat just about anything but stays smaller than a gator...mainly because it would kill itself before it got too big in the home aquaria.

richard, this could finally be our chance to create the most self-destructive gar ever!!! :nilly:
if you guys do this...dont forget about me! ;) i always have the room for another psychotic fish!

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
E_americanus;1182166; said:

Cuban X shortnose would be even better on the self destructive list..Psychotic and suicidal plus aggressive and sensitive to water conditions...

I kind of miss my croc...That fish was totally nuts on all levels....I have not been attacked by a fish in awhile now since sending her on her way....

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Polypterus;1182598; said:
Cuban X shortnose would be even better on the self destructive list..Psychotic and suicidal plus aggressive and sensitive to water conditions...

I kind of miss my croc...That fish was totally nuts on all levels....I have not been attacked by a fish in awhile now since sending her on her way....
yeah, i regret having had part in sending that fish away from MI :(

those fish truly were interesting gars...and now that we figured out their base species traits, it's "perfectly" reasonable that mine broke its back back in the day.

we still need to track down those gator x longnoses :) --
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store