my plywood tank build

laura65536

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Nebraska
my friend and I are both making plywood tanks, thought we'd share our progress over here. She is on ofish and has a thread going, if you'd like to look at that here is the link: http://www.oscarfish.com/discussion...606.html?sid=e1e2e38bd475792830f13da01f195650
but I like this forum better :D and wanted to start my own thread on this...so here is goes, we started Sunday, worked all day and all day Monday, we ended up getting a lot further than we thought we would. We slightly modified garf's stand for a little extra support, that's an awful lot of weight to have on some 2x4's so it's actually got 4x6's supporting it as well (3 2x4's together) and we are going to fiberglass the tanks, then put on the paint. As of right now all that's really left is the fiberglass, paint, stain and trim work, and reinforcing the tank some more (I haven't quite figured out how I want to do that yet), plus plumbing the sump, which we also made so it would fit under our stand, it's a 55 gal sump, oh, and the glass (that's a much longer list than I was hoping for). The tank measures 8Lx3Wx2H so my fishies should be happy :headbang2but it is by no means the biggest any of you have seen, thats for sure...I'd love to have that 1700 shark tank :drool:

I'll post more updates as we get further, but it's slow working on it as our husbands only have 1 day off a week...
as for a stock list, I've got 2 paroon sharks growing out of a 55 gal tank right now, and everything else in that tank is going to the big tank too, the channel cat, pictus, 4 cory cats, 3 mollies and some babies, a common pleco and a bichir (that goes in with the africans after they grow up some). I am thinking about re-homing the channel cat and getting a red tail cat, but I'm not sure if there will be enough space for that, I also have decided I want a grey sultan pleco instead of the common, but other than that, any suggestions on what to throw in with the paroons would be more than welcome...

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
Cool build. Can't wait to see more pics... A RTC won't fit in there for life and definitely won't go well with cories and mollies...

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
Danh;1186912; said:
A RTC won't fit in there for life and definitely won't go well with cories and mollies...
i agree. very nice so far.

laura65536

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Nebraska
I know the rtc would eat the smaller fish, my channel cat will too, used to have 30+ guppies and 10+ mollies, ect. that's just all that's left, I like the cats better...:D just wondering if he'd fit, that's all...any other ideas on tank mates for paroons? I'm also wondering what you suggest for lighting, mostly right now I just use the moonlights (I have a serious algea problem in the 55 right now) and my fish like the low light better I think, so how should I set up the lighting in the tank?

Also, how many gph should go through the sump?

laura65536

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Nebraska
yep, press board, we got it free and got a good deal on the fiberglass, so we're putting 3 layers of fiberglass down for extra strength, plus we'll be heavily reinforcing the tank...for what you see plus the screws, nails, finish boards, fiberglass, paint, ect. Everything I need to finish the tank but the trim I've only spent a little over $200 cause we got a lot for free, my friend bought the glass for hers so that's an extra $200 for that on her tank, but it's been a relatively cheap project, and it's beiing reinforced like crazy, so it should be fine.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store