Super Red Asian Arowana Breeder

CheckJr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2007
Indonesia
Hi ... This is my first post so please go easy on me..
I'm an Arowana breeder in West Kalimantan, Indonesia. If you are an Asian Arowana fan (especially the Super Red type), you would know that those type of Arowana are originated from and only available in the wild in West Kalimantan, Indonesia. Yup, that's rite where I'm from.. If you see Super Red Arowana in other places, then their parents or grandparents or great grandparents were from my hometown. Most often they were bought by Singaporeans, and I know that there are at least 2 Arowana farms there. This is no ads, but please believe me when I tell you that nothing beats the original since they preserve the original habitats and using the same water as those in the wild. :headbang2

I joined this forum after I saw a video in YouTube (Amazing Arowana Breeding Caught on Cam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ltmk6oHXg8) and followed the link from one of the comments :)
I was very surprised to see that Arowana could be bred in the tank. The guy who owned the fishes must be EXTREMELY LUCKY to be able to get a pair in the tank or he/she got ways to identify male/female Arowana and I would really love to get a pointer or two. Here we already knew (proven and tried) that jawline, fins, body shape are not reliable.

Let me give you a rough idea about our farm: we have several ponds and the size of each pond is 40 m x 10 m x 1.5 m (l x w x d). We usually place around 40 Arowanas (the youngest being 4 yrs. old and oldest around 7 yrs. old), into each pond and then basically pray for the best :). From the 5 years experience, the worst case is 0 for the whole 2 years, at which we remove all the Arowanas from that godforsaken pond and mix n match them with other less successful ones. Now you know why I said the owner of the tank are extremely lucky or had some secrets. 0 results from 40 arowanas means that all of them are of the same gender :cry: And we had this experience 3 TIMES. (For those who, at this point, think that they are not old enough to mate, asian arowana starts breeding at around 3 yo, so ours are more than ready.. trust me) This also happens to other farms as well and there are many of them with similar case.

So if anyone has similar stories as the one posted in YouTube or you are the owner of that particular video, my question is:
1. What's your secret and do you mind sharing it with the rest of us?
2. Do you have any more videos of those fishes after the breeding that can distinguish male/female as the video is very short?

I'm sorry if this post is too long and bores you.. But please remember that this is my first post..:)

Cheers

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Welcome, it sounds like a cool set up, I'm sure everyone would love to see some pics!!

Sorry I can't be of any help...

one7h4n9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2007
California
I think if breeder get the note of the aro's gender than breeding will be more easier and more successful. Instead of wishing for some fry it be even more fry. Which mean the endanger species will strive more and soon make a come back and won't be as endanger. Plus the price might get a little cheaper. Too bad i don't know how to tell gender and how that person got them to breed in a tank also. Gl on your find.

CheckJr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2007
Indonesia
And here's another picture, a unique albino Arowana from Super Red type. If anyone is interested, the price is USD 22,000.- It belongs to a friend of mine. Just want to share :

Image (1).jpg

Image (2).jpg

D.Pulcher

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nv
Geesh blows my RTG outa the water. But now in the states thats a no no. Wish I could just have my old setup back again.

CheckJr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2007
Indonesia
I'm sorry about my previous post about the "albino" Arowana, it supposed to be "a unique platinum Arowana". Since my friend made a huge fuss over it :)
An albino Super Red Asian Arowana would have red retinas and more expensive. Once again, sorry. But the price is still the same as posted before though :ROFL:

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
i wish you luck, but i am no help, trust me someone will respond eventually with some real help. Good luck with the 22,000$ aro for sale. And i want to see pictures of the aro ponds. They sound so awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store