Miami
there are pipefish indeed. I thought they were brackish though

Yin Wei

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2007
New Orleans
www.myspace.com
Ah thanks guys, I don't plan to get them now. I plan to get them later in the future.

And also the pipefish, are they a little easier to take care of then SH?

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Freshwater Pipefish are an extremely difficult fish to keep alive on primaraly pellets, flakes, algae based foods and some frozen foods. They need small live nutricous foods because of thier small mouth and also live foods trigger the natural hunting instinct.

I've never owned one, but I've never met someone who has kept them alive for more than 3 months. Including Public Aquariums.

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
Mystix212;1188750; said:
Freshwater Pipefish are an extremely difficult fish to keep alive on primaraly pellets, flakes, algae based foods and some frozen foods. They need small live nutricous foods because of thier small mouth and also live foods trigger the natural hunting instinct.

I've never owned one, but I've never met someone who has kept them alive for more than 3 months. Including Public Aquariums.
We've kept marine pipefish and sea horses at the NYA for a while, but they get a diet consisting exclusively of live food enriched with vitamins.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Pacific seahorses are pretty easy to keep and breed. They are saltwater though and do prefer live food although a good quality protein flake or frozen food will be accepted. I used to keep a couple of black mollies in the tank as they loved to hunt down the newborn live babies. Baby seahorses are incredibly cute and would make even the toughest manly MFKer coo....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store