Convict breeding question? 3 females - 1 male ?

rvd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
in my 30gallon breeder tank i got 4 convicts. At first when i bought them only 2 had the orange coloring on the belly and 2 didnt so i obviously thought 2 were male.. Now i noticed the smaller one of the 2 that didnt have orange now does. so this means i have 3 females and 1 male. the male is definitely a male, he's roughly 2.5 -3" from head to tail with ZERO orange on him. the rest all have orange and are roughly 2".. Will this pose a problem for pairing up for breeding? or does this mean the more than 1 female will lay eggs to be fertilized by the male..

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
It's better that you have 1 male to three females. If so, then you lucked out. The male is gonna pick the female he likes. You should probably then remove the other two "females" because that 30 gallon is too small for a breeding pair of convicts and anything else. Good luck though. I'm sure you'll get tired of them breeding sooner or later though when it does end up happening. :ROFL:

xmixmasterx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
VA
Convicts, once happy, can't be stopped from breeding. Benfica540 is right about removing the odd girls out. Any females not ready to breed when the male is ready will be disposed of unless they have room to get away.

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
All I gotta say is, don't worry, they'll breed even if you don't want them to. You'll figure out which fish is male or female really fast once they do. If they don't breed, you have all males! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store