Red Devil laying eggs? is this normal?

RdLover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2007
canada
for the past.. couple months since i've had my Red devil..every once a month she lays.. eggs.. then.. couple.. days.. later the eggs.. all die...im just wondering what would lead her to lay eggs every month when she has no mate? its getting annoying.. cause it makes the tank gets really dirty and i have to clean it up after all the eggs.. die off this happen to anyone else?during that time she is litterally pmsing no one can come near her or she kills without mercy and she wont eat crazy rd i got :screwy:

Darky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
AUSTRALIA
Its obviously fate telling you to get a bigger tank and a male for her :naughty:

At least thats how I interpret it

Darky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
AUSTRALIA
Also, shouldnt you consider it a good sign because if shes able to breed water quality must be good and shes getting ample food. So pretty much just keep on what your doing :headbang2

pingpong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2004
Ontario, Canada
If a female red devil is healthy, eating well and comfortable she will produce eggs. I've had many female CA cichlids lay eggs without a mate but it happens more often when there's a male visible in another tank close by.

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
:iagree:

big train

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Chesapeake V.A.
All female fish lay eggs sooner or later it's a part of their cycle the body produces them and then they have to go weather a mate is there or not she can't hold them forever.

Reactions: Flawless Fish Tanks

RdLover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2007
canada
noooooooooo meh i guess im doing at good job with feeding her and making changes to my water at least hahaha

pingpong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Does she lay her eggs on and object like a flower pot? Just remove the pot as soon as you see eggs and replace it with a different one. I'm sure if you have small fish in another tank they'd love to eat those eggs.

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Laying eggs does not always mean the waters good. For example, I've seen where the water hadn't been changed in 3 months, never cleanded, extremely bad filter, yet the 7" female just cranked out the eggs every 3 weeks like clockwork. Of course she died when the little 4 year old girl tipped a whole can of pellets in thinking that it would make her grow even bigger in the 55G. I THINK the ammonia was recorded at 14, or some redicously high number.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store